New build MrRackable sourced

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKG

Dabbler
Hi, I'm looking to build a new server after experimenting for awhile with Freenas. I'm looking at this, and it seems to be a good deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4U-Supermic...340191?hash=item237a28a81f:g:vQoAAOSwJ7RYXEYN

It appears to have the better SAS2 backplane, and 96gb of RAM should be good for my plan of 12x4tb drives to start, and then later fully expand to 96tb, correct? Anything else missing from this (besides drives) to get this up and running with Freenas?

Thinking of going with 12x HGST DeskStar 4TB's to start, in 2x 6-drive vdev's if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, I'm looking to build a new server after experimenting for awhile with Freenas. I'm looking at this, and it seems to be a good deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4U-Supermic...340191?hash=item237a28a81f:g:vQoAAOSwJ7RYXEYN

It appears to have the better SAS2 backplane, and 96gb of RAM should be good for my plan of 12x4tb drives to start, and then later fully expand to 96tb, correct? Anything else missing from this (besides drives) to get this up and running with Freenas?

Thinking of going with 12x HGST DeskStar 4TB's to start, in 2x 6-drive vdev's if that makes sense.

Thanks for your input!
Funny... I happen to have that exact system in my eBay 'watch' list! :cool:

Yes, I think it would make a good FreeNAS server. Just be aware that it's going to be:
  • Loud
  • More power-hungry than newer systems
  • Loud
Did I mention it will be loud? :)

Yes, 96GB of RAM should be plenty to handle 24 x 4TB hard drives. The '16GB + 1GB per TB of storage' rule is a rough rule-of-thumb, not an exact formula.

You might check with MrRackables to make sure it comes with the appropriate cables to connect the LSI card to the backplane.

Good luck!

Bezerker

Dabbler
I ordered a my system from mrrackables. Had some HW issues with the first one but they were great and sent me a second one. Still having issues with the second one (seems power related) but i'm not going to bother them with this, the parts for the units are cheap enough online to replace individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.