BUILD New Build for Storage + Plex Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Superbiiz seems fine to me I built my last computer by buying from them.

eadwyn

Dabbler
No idea what the o is for on their site. I'm ordering the same stuff (minus the o) for 184.99 from Newegg.

Don't know if you have purchased from SuperBiiz before or not. I noticed they had a couple lower priced items. After doing the Google thing just decided way too many bad reviews (long shipping, CC disputes, etc) and not BBB accredited. I'm sticking with Newegg and Amazon myself. The extra couple bucks buys me piece of mind is all ;)

The reviews seem mostly positive when I googled them (a couple issues, but I think the risk is worth the $100+ I will be saving buying a few items from them). If I can't get any consensus on the ram question, I'll definitely go with the ones you linked. I must have missed those when searching, so thanks for that!

Besides the ram question, I think this is my final build:

I decided on upgrading to the 1650 v3 (since I will have gigabit internet soon, $250 extra is not all that much when I am already spending $2400 and it will give me another 2-3 transcodes).

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRi-F - $290
CPU: Xeon 1650 v3 - $570
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212 Evo - $35
Case: Deep Silence 6 - $210
PSU: Seasonic 650W - $94
Memory: 2 x 16GB Samsung Registered DDR4 - $354
HDDs: 3 x WD Reds 4TB - $530 + 3 x WD Reds 4TB - $480
Boot Drive: Supermicro 16GB sata dom - $48

Shipping: $21
Total: $2611

DataKeeper

Patron
The linked ram on Newegg dropped $10 bucks 2 or 3 days ago to the $185 price.
Recheck the WD Red 4TB prices.. Amazon was 180 a few days ago and have dropped back down to 160.49. Newegg is now 179.99 with a $20 promo code. I ordered 4 from Amazon a few weeks ago delivered with Nasware3.0 however photo now shows 2.0.

What was your reasoning for going with the SRi $290 over the SRL at $269? No real reason just wondering? :)

Also .. thats an impressively large case!

eadwyn

Dabbler
The linked ram on Newegg dropped $10 bucks 2 or 3 days ago to the $185 price.
Recheck the WD Red 4TB prices.. Amazon was 180 a few days ago and have dropped back down to 160.49. Newegg is now 179.99 with a $20 promo code. I ordered 4 from Amazon a few weeks ago delivered with Nasware3.0 however photo now shows 2.0.

What was your reasoning for going with the SRi $290 over the SRL at $269? No real reason just wondering? :)

Also .. thats an impressively large case!

Yeah, I like to be able to expand before needing to get a 24/48 bay chassis a few years down the road and it is a really quiet case with good airflow which is super important to me.

To be honest, I didn't do too much comparison on those two mobos. I'll have to do some research tomorrow to decide if the better nic is worth $20.

As for the hdds, I live in WA so I have to pay 10% tax on purchases from them :(

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
retail comes with cables and backplate. Bulk version wont have all that other stuff. Doesn't matter what you get.

Bulk does have the I/O panel backplate and two crummy SATA cables. Packaging is very inferior, though, so I recommend retail if the price difference is small.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Bulk does have the I/O panel backplate and two crummy SATA cables. Packaging is very inferior, though, so I recommend retail if the price difference is small.
Go with what ericloewe said they would probably know better than me. I have bought neither just going off what I have read in random posts.

eadwyn

Dabbler
One last question. Should 1 sata dom be good enough or should I be getting two for a mirror boot?

marbus90

Guru
I'd pick two SATADOMs for mirrored boot. However they're pretty reliable, so a single one might suffice.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'd get 2

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
For something that isn't mission critical such as home use one will suffice.

eadwyn

Dabbler
Went ahead and made the purchases. I'll update with a couple pictures once the build is complete. Thanks for all the help!

Raiz

Explorer
Derp.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think you're going to have to wait a couple days for it to arrive. He just purchased it today.
The post is dated 2015-04-03

Status
Not open for further replies.