Network issues caused by freenas-vmware-windows 7 setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ral

Cadet
I need help with a problem I've been trying to troubleshoot for a while... I'm at a point where I don't know what to do.

I set this up as a learning experience/something handy to have at home. I'm not very familiar with FreeBSD and I'm pretty new with VMWare. My config is as follows:

Machine 1
-----------
FreeNas-8.0.2-Release-amd64
AMD X2 4800+
8GB RAM
Realtek NIC
Intel pro/1000 GT Desktop adaptor
(installed on flashdrive)

Machine 2
-----------
VMWare 5.0 (tried 4.0 too)
AMD X6
8GB RAM
Realtek NIC
Intel pro/1000 GT Desktop adaptor
(installed on small harddrive)

I have the two machines connected together with a crossover cable (tried a regular one too) and configured to communicated between the two using that card. The realtek cards are used to communicate with the rest of my network.

On the FreeNAS server I have 4 drives setup up using ZFS, I have it serving as my fileserver for most of my network. For VM purposes, I configured both ISCSI and later NFS as datastores. No issues setting it up.

Configured a Debian VM, installed the OS, ran all the updates, no issues from the console, or sshing in.

Configured a Windows 7 VM, installed the operating system. No issues yet. Started updating Windows 7 to bring it up to date. After the first or second update the Intel NIC on the freenas server starts to change states. Basically the messages log would fill with

date freenas kernel: em0: link state changed to DOWN
date freenas kernel: em0: link state changed to UP

The VMWare logs typically have messages I'd expect from losing connection to the datastore.

I've tried things like changing cables, limiting the speed of the network cards, switching from ISCSI to NFS with nothing making a difference.

Even now, I can start Linux, log in, etc etc and no issues. I start Windows 7 and that network card starts flipping states. I'm now thinking it's one of Windows 7 updates but haven't worked on narrowing it down. (so time consuming)

Has anyone encountered issues like this? Any fixes out there that I haven't been able to find myself? If not, any ideas on how I should troubleshoot this? I'm going nuts!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.