Netapp Branded Hitachi SAS Drives - Any workaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Greene

Cadet
I recently bought 10 Hitachi 450Gb 3.5" 15k SAS drives off of eBay. Specifically, the HUS156045VLS600. The description didn't mentioned they were NetApp drives. There is another sticker on the drives with a NetApp P/N as well as an IBM P/N.

I was initially trying to use the drives in a Dell MD1000 enclosure (Which support the Hitachi drive model itself) connected to a IBM M1015 SAS controller that has been reflashed to a LSI 9211 card. All of these drives show up as non-supported devices. I had another 450gb SAS drive (different Hitachi model) laying around which shows up just fine. Having seen this, I definitely expected the worst when I got FreeNAS installed and tried to create a volume. As expected, it didn't work. I tried to make a 10x1 RaidZ2 volume, and it failed with an error about not being able to GPT format the first disk.

I tossed a drive in an IBM x3650 with 3.5" bays to the internal ServeRAID 8k controller and again, the drive shows up as unsupported.

The only info I've been able to find thus far has no resolution other than that it won't work: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19528378

I figured I'd check here before returning the drives. Anyone aware of any method to get these drives in a usable state in non-NetApp hardware? Perhaps by using the IBM x3650 server I have...?

zambanini

Patron
had the same issues with WD drives, no luck. u have to replace the firmware locked drives.

Phil Greene

Cadet
Bummer. The seller contacted me that they didn't realize they were NetApp drives when listing them. Oh well.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the netapp locked drives are usually more expensive. sell them again ; )
"Verified to work with netapp!"

It's technically true, by exclusion, unless they're downright defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.