Need suggestion help

Bizquick

Explorer
Here is my issue. I have an older 11.2 or 11.3 Freenas install on old hardware. And I want to move the data over to a newer TrueNAS I just finished building with a little bit newer hardware and storage is just a little bit bigger cause I only did Z1 instead of Z2 this time. It's all just a 1gig Switched network nothing fancy or high tech. So speeds are not like Blazing fast or do I have the options of making them without buying more stuff I may or may not use. The 11.2 or 11.3 Freenas I updated it about 2 months ago to 11.3U5 I think. But it still feels like it's still an 11.2 box. Cause like the Plugins that I can install and versions of those didn't change like the newer versions of things. So I don't have much faith in it really being an 11.3 U5 box. Anyway, I've thought of maybe setting up a VM inside my new one and just connecting the shares and copying the data that way. But I was not sure that is worth all the work and if I would get very good speed.

Now What I did do earlier and it was a mistake. I took my USB drive I use on my older Freenas for backups and I did a Replication Task to a new dataset and share on my new one. But That just brought everything over as Readonly and I couldn't figure out how to get out of that mess. Anyway, that data is still there but I felt that was a waste of time now cause I can't do anything with it.
Oh, btw It's about 4.5 TB of data. I wanted to find the best and quickest way to do this. I'm careful about how much new data I'm adding to the old box I know what data and files. I just need to retire that old hardware and turn it off soon. I'm sure it's close to its last legs it's an old Dell T310 and It can't do VM's case Bhyvee doesn't support the CPU or some crap. I don't think it would matter much it's only a 4 core CPU anyway and 32 gigs ram. So I would only get 1 VM if any if it could.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
If you go into the advanced properties of the data set, you can switch off the read-only