Need help on permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadje93

Explorer
I'll have to admit, i love freenas! Works great for sharing/backups (even doing things i couldn't imagine like automated backups from a vps running elsewhere to my freenas machine over ssh etc)

But i got a problem,

I'm using a Brother MFC-J6520DW to scan my local content to FTP (for some reason CIFS isn't working) but now i have strange permissions problem.

I've made a new account for my scanner FTP setup, set his home directory to a directory on its own datasete on my my main vpool

It scans fine, everything is transferred pretty quik (even a big stack of paper fed from the ADF goes pretty fast to the server). I can see the files on my cifs share in windows (using my own account that is). But i can't open/copy them. I'm the owner of the data set, and group owner is the scanner group.

Permissions for the "scanner" ftp account home dir (which is also set to the scanner dataset) are 777. He is in a "scanner" group which i'm in to. But i cant seem to modify its files. Dataset permissions are also 777 and still isn't working. Only when i manullay do a manual chmod in the gui i can copy the files to my own system. Is this due to FTP? Or some other permission problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated as i'm going to "digitalize" all incoming mail.

Thanks in advance!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'll have to admit, i love freenas! Works great for sharing/backups (even doing things i couldn't imagine like automated backups from a vps running elsewhere to my freenas machine over ssh etc)

But i got a problem,

I'm using a Brother MFC-J6520DW to scan my local content to FTP (for some reason CIFS isn't working) but now i have strange permissions problem.

I've made a new account for my scanner FTP setup, set his home directory to a directory on its own datasete on my my main vpool

It scans fine, everything is transferred pretty quik (even a big stack of paper fed from the ADF goes pretty fast to the server). I can see the files on my cifs share in windows (using my own account that is). But i can't open/copy them. I'm the owner of the data set, and group owner is the scanner group.

Permissions for the "scanner" ftp account home dir (which is also set to the scanner dataset) are 777. He is in a "scanner" group which i'm in to. But i cant seem to modify its files. Dataset permissions are also 777 and still isn't working. Only when i manullay do a manual chmod in the gui i can copy the files to my own system. Is this due to FTP? Or some other permission problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated as i'm going to "digitalize" all incoming mail.

Thanks in advance!
FTP and CIFS in FreeNAS use a somewhat incompatible permissions model. You're probably seeing this in action. Your best bet is to figure out how to make CIFS work with your scanner.

aadje93

Explorer
Well i think i got CIFS working :D. For some "strange" reason it doesn't want a \ before the map name (only host and map name without slashes).

but it's not possible? Now *everyone* can see my scanned stuff right?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well i think i got CIFS working :D. For some "strange" reason it doesn't want a \ before the map name (only host and map name without slashes).

but it's not possible? Now *everyone* can see my scanned stuff right?
Whether everyone can see your scans depends on how you configured permissions.

aadje93

Explorer
Hmm, so if i set it to group read/write, and make the group owner "scanner" (which i'm in to) only i and the "scanner" account will be able to see it when browsing /vpool/? (or will they see /vpool/scanner but can't open the directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.