Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMata

Dabbler
OK, then I'll have to wait until I get all the drives. Thanks

Arwen

MVP
@AlexMata
You can start learning about FreeNAS and ZFS. Both reading about them and actually playing with FreeNAS.

ZFS is different enough that you can use ZFS in a less than optimal configuration. So there is no reason not to install your existing disks, and run through some temporary installs. (Assuming your existing disks don't have any data on them you want to keep.)

Plus, for the disks in hand, you can run through disk tests, (short & long SMART tests, and any additional data tests). This will save some time.

Stux

MVP
@AlexMata
You can start learning about FreeNAS and ZFS. Both reading about them and actually playing with FreeNAS.

ZFS is different enough that you can use ZFS in a less than optimal configuration. So there is no reason not to install your existing disks, and run through some temporary installs. (Assuming your existing disks don't have any data on them you want to keep.)

Plus, for the disks in hand, you can run through disk tests, (short & long SMART tests, and any additional data tests). This will save some time.

And the most important... failure simulations... hot eject some disks.

AlexMata

Dabbler
Last weekend I installed Freenas and during the week I played with it. It works great on my system. When copying/reading large files I can saturate my gigabit network. Also streaming Plex worked great until now, I haven't found any video that it can not play.
I know the server is low end but for serving 3 clients works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.