Mysterious UPS (Irbis) - <vendor 0x0001 MEC0003> at usbus0 - blazer driver advice needed

dAlexis

Dabbler
Device named Irbis, but I do not find a trap of it's real Chinese OEM name :( Looks OK, however, cleas sin signal, good work time. USB present, in Windows well monitored by UPSmart software (ver 1.5). Linux software provided, but not tested (seems linux version of UPSmart too, as I understand)

However, in BSD this (self-censored) device looks highly mysterious. dmesg gives this:

ugen0.4: <vendor 0x0001 MEC0003> at usbus0 - WHAT!??? :eek:

After digging in Internet I found, that MEC0003 is a UPS protocol, and it's supported by blazer driver. UPS was found by the driver, however, info about it looks, hm... completely wrong - battery voltage negative, etc. Please, point me 2 place, where correct settings 4 blazer driver may be found. Any advice welcome! Seems 2 me, that it may be solved by correct parameters, but how 2 find them - no mind... Ready to various tricks, such as USB trace attempt in Windows (not sure, that it'll be successful, but I'll try )

Code:
root@freenas:~ # upsc ups
battery.voltage: 0.00
battery.voltage.high: -1.08
battery.voltage.low: -0.87
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ugen0.4
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.12
input.frequency: 0.0
input.voltage: 0.0
input.voltage.fault: 0.0
output.voltage: 0.0
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 0
ups.productid: 0000
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 0.0
ups.type: online
ups.vendorid: 0001
root@freenas:~ #

sas41

Cadet
I realize that I am over two years late to this post, but I am having this exact issue, with the exact same device, it's clearly a rebranded version of the same UPS.

Did you manage to resolve this?

I realize that I am over two years late to this post, but I am having this exact issue, with the exact same device, it's clearly a rebranded version of the same UPS. Did you manage to resolve this?

um you have solution to fix this? i have a ups made in china and thai corporate rebranded that. usb is MEC0003 but i try a lot of driver is not working.

unseen

Contributor
I faced the same problem recently. The old PowerWalker UPS that I had connected to my TrueNAS server stopped working and I ended up replacing it with a similar looking "Green Cell 600VA UPS" from Amazon which on FreeBSD reports itself as:

ugen0.4: <MEC MEC0003> at usbus0
uhid0 on uhub0
uhid0: <MEC MEC0003, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3> on usbus0

I tried every configuration I could think of on TrueNAS to get it recognised, but nothing I tried worked.

In the end, I connected it to a Raspberry Pi 3B which I had spare. The version of NUT which is included in the latest Debian release for the Pi recognised the UPS using the blazer_usb driver with no problems. So I simply configured the Pi as the master network instance for the UPS and then added it to TrueNAS as a network slave.

Problem solved!

I could also add the UPS to my Home Assistant instance and create cards for it to show the battery voltage and status.