Moving to an ECC config

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyKnight

Cadet
I currently have a Mini ITX system in a fractal designs case. Basic config is:

Intel I3 2100 3.1Ghz
4 x 2TB Seagate drives (RZ1)
3 x 500GB Seagate drives (old and now with the annoying 512B/4096K warning message)
8GB of non-ECC Kingston DDR3 1066
Asus P8H61-L MiniITX board
USB Install

This system has been running fantastically for the last year and is my media repository (movies and TV Shows) as well as laptop backup target. I've been aware of the whole ECC issues with ZFS for a while but as I had some spare tiem today I thought I'd look at what I would need to do to get to an ECC config.

From what I can see the first issue is the case and the motherboard. It's a nice compact size but the specs of my current board say non-ECC only. So far I haven't found a mini itx board that supports ECC. Does anybody know of one???

Next is my CPU. The i3 is faultless in my system so I really don't want to change it but so far I have been unable to find whether this model of CPU supports ECC. Doe anybody know? Intel's site doesn't even have a heading for ECC in the spec sheet for the CPU (I was expecting a yes/no at least).

If the answer to both of these questions is no that means new CPU board and case plus memory which is going to be big bucks. I use this box as a plex media server as well so the CPU has to be good for transcoding 1080p streams.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.