Moving pool from eSATA to xyratex hb-1235 (same HBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tominaattori

Cadet
Hello fellow datahoarders! I recently bought an used ibm server and created a zfs pool using 4* 8tb wd reds. The disks are connected to a crossflashed dell h200E with an externalSAS to sata- hackjob. Now I finally got a hold of a proper diskshelf and I am worried what would happen if I just popped the disks in the shelf and hoped for the best. I spent countless of hours configuring all the jails and ssl stuff and losing any of them would be devastating (not even mentioning the data).

Has any of you done this before? Will the pool need exporting and importing as they essentially will be connected to the same hba card? Will this export/import job preserve my jails also?

Also I'm guessing that the sata 1M cable lenght limitation does not apply here since the HB-1235 obviously has an expander (or does it?)? It has 12 bays and with dual channel hba only 8 would be possible. Am I on a right track on this one?

I'm running freenas 11
Any help would be highly appreciated!

Ibm x3850 quad x7460
128gb ram
Xyratex compellent HB-1235

Lähetetty minun Nexus 6P laitteesta Tapatalkilla

The drives are connected to an HBA, right? No hardware RAID anywhere in the loop? If so, I see no reason to export and import. Turn everything off. Put the drives where you want them. Turn everything back on. That's the brilliance of ZFS. It just knows.

Cheers,
Matt

Tominaattori

Cadet
Yes. The same HBA. Are you saying I should export the pool before just yanking them off and putting in the shelf? Or should they just work as is without export and import steps?

Thank you for your time Matthew :)

FreeNAS doesn't care where the drives are attached. Each drive has its own signature. When FreeNAS starts, it looks at all the drives and figures out how they play together. This volume group is still part of the same FreeNAS installation, right? If so export/import is not required.

Here is the procedure I'd use...

1. Power down FreeNAS.
2. Reorganize disks as necessary.
3. Power up FreeNAS.

Cheers,
Matt

Tominaattori

Cadet
This really gives me the necessary reassurements.
After crawling trough freenas ducumentation and several other guides, I was only able to find help for migrations and this is not really a migration.
Thank you Matthew.

gpsguy

After crawling trough freenas ducumentation ...

Are you referring to the HTML docs? If you prefer PDF or ePub version of the docs - see my signature.

Tominaattori

Cadet
Just wanted to update you guys. Everything went as planned and my homelab has been upgraded with a proper shelf!! Wooo! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.