Moving data to new dataset

juenoman400

Cadet
Greetings everyone.

I transferred my data to my new server and have a question. (I was able to pull some data from a different freenas machine and transfer it under replicating task. I transferred the entire dataset) One of my datasets I would like to seperate and move some of the data to a different dataset. Is there a way I can move one folder containing data to a new dataset without moving the entire dataset? (Note: both folders are over 3tb in size)

Secondly if you wanted to delete a dataset and all of the data how would that be done? (In case I ever need)

Thanks

Fortinbras

Dabbler
As far as I know, there is no way to move a subset of data within a dataset to a new dataset using the TrueNAS graphical user interface in the browser. You can, however, create an empty dataset using the GUI and then share both the old dataset and the new dataset to a client computer. The old dataset will show up on the client as a network drive with all of the old data, while the new dataset will show up as an empty network drive. Then you can use the usual paradigms of your client computer to drag and drop data from old to new, delete data that you don't want to remain on the old, etc.

A dataset and all of its data can be deleted very simply by opening up the storage tab, clicking on the right-pointing chevron to open up a pool, navigate until the dataset you are interested in is visible. Once it is visible click on the three vertical dots to the right on the line for that dataset, and you should see an option to delete the dataset. You'll be presented with a confirmation dialog, and then poof, the dataset will be gone.

sretalla