Moving Boot Pool to new system

Trevor68

Contributor
Hi,
I'm building a new system currently, and only just realised I cannot move the boot drive, as it is mSata, and the new board only supports M2.
I have a spare 120G SSD lying about, so was planning to mirror the boot drive with it, then use it in the new system, leaving the mSata in the old one.

My question becomes do I just power down, move the ssd to the new box and power up, or do I need to detach or offline it first?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have a spare 120G SSD lying about, so was planning to mirror the boot drive with it, then use it in the new system, leaving the mSata in the old one.

My question becomes do I just power down, move the ssd to the new box and power up, or do I need to detach or offline it first?
Just install fresh and restore your config to the new drive.

You can just move a boot pool drive to a new box without any other requirements (although you're not really saving yourself anything over a fresh install with a config restore).

Arwen

MVP
One note about restoring configs, if the network device changes, you likely have to re-configure the network from the console. So make sure your new system has console access available after installation, and before reboot to enable your config restore.

Trevor68

Contributor
Excellent, this is a home lap setup, so yes I will plug a monitor in to reconfig the network.

As always thanks for the excellent advice.