Motherboard for E3-12xx v5 Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spierce7

Dabbler
I noticed that the recommended hardware addresses E3-12xx v3, but not v5.

I'm not 100% sure on what I'll end up doing but I'm leaning towards these 2 options:
1. Set up FreeNAS and run a web-server or 2 in jails
2. Setup a virtualization environment with a virtualized ubuntu using it's new ZFS support, and other virtualized servers.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Xeon E3 v5 to stay with the latest technology.

1. What motherboard would serve me well for either option?
2. What should I be looking for to confirm that the motherboard is supported? It's been 5 or 6 years since I built a gaming rig. I'm looking at new egg, and I'm only seeing ~11 compatible mother boards, but I'm seeing other people posting links to v5 compatible motherboards that I haven't been able to find while searching.

joeschmuck

Old Man
The docs have not been updated to reflect the V5 but they are safe to use.

BBarker

Contributor
I am currently using an ASRock E3C236D2I mini-itx server board with a E3-1220 v5 and it works great. It's definitely overkill as the highest CPU usage so far has been 47% when it was transcoding HD video to two different apple devices while also playing a movie to our HT system. Supermicro is the board manufacture of choice here but I have always had great luck with ASRock and my system won't be seeing anything other than usage in my home network anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.