motherboard and CPU suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhweb

Explorer
Can someone suggest a Micro ATX motherboard and CPU for heavy transcoding that will support this memory kit G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB), because I already have the memory.

The FreeNAS will be used to store and serve files. Plex to stream videos. In the future, I would like to stream 4K videos as well. And possible other plugins and may be a VM.

artlessknave

Wizard
that memory doesn't seem to be ECC, and is not recommenced by the general FreeNAS community; it's unlikely anyone in the forums would be willing to suggest a board for it, as nobody wants to be lynched for blashpemy.

NugentS

MVP
@turnpaper
No, just no
You are not running TN as a gaming machine. The only way to do that would be to use Hyper-V on a workstation or VMWare Player both of which are likley to run extremely badly with siginficant risk to data.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
VIA EPIA-M700 Mini-ITX Board)

Ah, what? A 15 year old board that tops out at 2GB RAM?

a home theatre system and as a gaming computer

I think you're in the wrong place. These forums are for the discussion of FreeNAS and TrueNAS, which are operating systems that transform your PC into a dedicated network storage appliance. This is not a general forum for PC discussions, though if you want to have such a discussion, there is an "off-topic" forum category where that would be allowed.

artlessknave

Wizard
Holy Thread necro. one must wonder why you would necro a thread to ask a question the thread itself says is not recommended...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mod note:

That was actually a spammer copy/pasting stuff from another forum, from 2008 (!). I mean, who else would even contemplate such an insanely terrible system?

Status
Not open for further replies.