More plugins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,

Those of you who have clicked your plugins icons today will notice we have 4 new plugins on http://www.appcafe.org/freenas now! Thanks to everyone who worked to make that happen - we're well on our way towards making the dynamic plugin feature of 9.1.x a worthwhile investment!

For those who'd like to create and host your own plugins, please feel free to contact us (you can contact me directly, if you like, or address your request to the freenas-forum account) and we'll be happy to host your plugin(s) on appcafe after a short review to make sure they actually work. :)

We're also working on an upload request page there, so it's more automated, but it's not quite ready yet, so for now just ask us directly and we'll make it happen!

If you'd like more information on creating FreeNAS plugins, please see the documentation we've created.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Woohoo! Looking great!

diedrichg

Wizard
Awesome! Thank you! I hope ownCloud and OpenVPN are in the works.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
diedrichg. While an OpenVPN plugin is possible technically, you are better off running your VPN service from your router itself.

PFsense works fine(I use that) but ddwrt has also been known to work fine from people in the forum. Many of the more expensive feature packed routers you can buy will often have VPN support built in but you have to shop for it.

Dusan

Guru
The problem with OpenVPN on a consumer grade router is the CPU performance. My Asus RT-N66U with its 600MHz Broadcom SOC has maximum OpenVPN throughput of about 22 Mbit/s (my connection is 100Mbit/s down, 8Mbit/s up). However, FreeNAS already ships with OpenVPN (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/OpenVPN), you just need to configure it via CLI.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The problem with OpenVPN on a consumer grade router is the CPU performance. My Asus RT-N66U with its 600MHz Broadcom SOC has maximum OpenVPN throughput of about 22 Mbit/s (my connection is 100Mbit/s down, 8Mbit/s up). However, FreeNAS already ships with OpenVPN (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/OpenVPN), you just need to configure it via CLI.
Don't use a crackerjack box router.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've heard from a friend that he used a Raspberri Pi as a VPN server and he could do 10Mb/sec throughput. For most people in the USA that exceeds the upload capacity of their home connection anyway.

norskman

Contributor
Probably due to the recent update to OpenVPN 9.1.1 the link for OpenVPN is a blank page.
I am interested in using OpenVPN can someone send me a link or please put the data back in the V9.12 instructions....

many thanks

diedrichg

Wizard
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone.

Yatti420

Wizard
I saw some new ones in 9.1.1 yesterday.. I'm still learning / trying to differentiate.. I've yet to even look at standard bsd stuff..

Savell Martin

Contributor
Is there a best practice or best type of Jail to install/configure for the native FreeNAS apps?
I'm really new to FreeNAS, and before I setup a jail and realise later its totally wrong.
I was wondering if you have some sort of a guide or something for getting Jails setup correctly from the outset, and these plugins all configured up.

J

jkh

Is there a best practice or best type of Jail to install/configure for the native FreeNAS apps?

To be honest, the best practice for jails is not to create one at all. :smile:

Seriously, if you don't have a very specific need (in which case you kind of already know what the best practices are) then just use the plugins menu exclusively and let the system do the jail management automatically for you. The most you'll need to do then is use the jail storage manager to decide what portions of your ZFS pool to expose to the plugin, which is not so much a jails question as it is a personal security question (what data are you exporting? why?). Typically speaking, jails are a fairly advanced-class feature and if you're new to FreeNAS, just ignore them for now.

Antioch18

Explorer
I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct location to leave this comment/request, but would it be possible to have the sickbeard plugin updated? Back in March 2013 there was a new feature added to allow for WEB1080p searches that is absent from the version hosted on the FreeNAS plugins page.

The specific feature/change I'm talking about is referenced here http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/issues/detail?id=2104
and you can see from post #41 that the change should have been checked into main.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! :)

edit: grabbed the latest off of github and dropped it into the plugin's jail install path - it works fine.

J

jkh

Hi,

This would be an excellent bug report. :) Seriously, not all of the developers read the forum (in fact, they frequently take long vacations from it) but once a bug is assigned to a developer, it comes up at least once a week in bug review and you can be sure that it will at least be looked at! You've even identified the specific patch in question, which should make closing the bug again pretty easy!

Thanks!

J

jkh

Except that sickbeard is not an official plugin and is out of our hands.

Well, let's be careful with our terminology. If we host a plugin, it's "official" as far as the users are concerned since there's nothing in the plugin UI which differentiates one type from another, nor do we pop up any kind of warning saying "This is an unofficial plugin and not supported by the FreeNAS project." If we had done all of that, then we could say this, but we didn't so we can't. :) At the very least, we can forward any bug report(s) for such plugins to their authors or, if the bug is a particularly bad one (which this one is not), decide to stop hosting it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm Looking for nzedb or newznab as plugin

Someone from another forum tried to make a newznab plugin a few months ago. The short answer is that its darn near impossible to make work in the jail. Due to some scripts/code that you have to setup with your own personal settings and other logistical problems he/she said it was not likely to ever happen. He also added that if it were to happen there would be a lot of arguing over various settings that the author of the plugin(and the plugin user if those features were available to the user). He also said that as the database grew and newznab was updated it may require wiping and resetting the database if you don't know how to deal with the database changes. He cautioned against ever making one if we didn't want to go insane with complaints. He said that if you don't have the necessary knowledge to do it on your own you definitely don't have the knowledge to administer or maintain one properly. He said there is so many knobs and switches that you have to understand and operate to make newznab work properly that it's a nightmare in itself. /shrug

I have no idea how true/untrue his assessment is, but if someone is saying that my guess is I wouldn't expect it anytime in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.