Mirror USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Hello All,

I am getting ready to finally put my FreeNas box together. I am going to use the USB header with an adapter to have FreeNas on. I have read many threads and am a little confused - I want to do this right. Here are my concerns/questions:

I have two brand new 16 gig SanDisk USB 2.0 drives - I hear that you can mirror the install, for redundancy. What is the best way to accomplish this, to get the mirror active? I would assume the mirror part would be in the initial setup of FreeNas.

What is the best way to "install," freenas on the usb key?

Here is how I think it will work: I plug both USB sticks into the header adapter. Have a 3rd drive and boot from it, install FreeNas to one of the USB drives on the header - THEN, go to the GUI and created a mirror of the boot device?

Thanks!

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I plug both USB sticks into the header adapter. Have a 3rd drive and boot from it, install FreeNas to one of the USB drives on the header - THEN, go to the GUI and created a mirror of the boot device?!

Close. You'll need 3 sticks (1 with the install media and 2 to install to). In Figure 2.3c of http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#performing-the-installation, select the 2 sticks to install to and it will automatically create the mirror for you.

s1nemesis1s

Explorer
Thanks so much. I am hoping to start the build tonight - I am still getting over surgery - this will help a great deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.