Mini X not showing all drives in "View Enclosure"

rschatz

Cadet
I just got my new new TrueNAS Mini X appliance, and it's not showing the correct drive assignment in the "View Enclosure" menu.

This is running TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 (platform "TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X", the 16GB variant, ordered diskless in case it makes a difference). The appliance came with FreeNAS 11 preinstalled, but I immediately updated it to 12 before putting in any disks, so I can't tell if that issue was already there in 11.

I added 5 disks to the 3.5 slots and made a raidz-2 pool out of these 5 disks. Nothing in the two 2.5 slots yet.
The "View Enclosure" menu shows only two of the 3.5 slots used, three empty, and both 2.5 slots used. The 5th disk doesn't show up at all.
Even more annoying, it's also only showing 4 disks in the "temperatures" section, and showing "total disks 4" in the overview (should be 5).
See attached screenshot.

truenas-enclosure.png

All 5 disks are showing up as expected from other interfaces (e.g. storage->pools->pool status, or simply zpool status on the cmdline), and also working.

Is there any configuration step I'm missing for "View Enclosure"? Anything I can do to fix this?

To be honest, I don't know how the system is supposed to get that information from the disk enclosure. Is this a matter of matching SATA ports on the mainboard to enclosure slots in some config file?

rschatz

Cadet
I opened a support ticket for this, and got this resolved with the help of ixsystems support (thanks a lot for that!).

In case anyone is searching the forums with the same problem:

I was expecting that this is misconnfigured in software somewhere, but turns out it was actually a lot simpler: The "view enclosure" functionality is just using a fixed 1:1 mapping of enclosure bays to physical ports on the mainboard. There are two Mini-SAS ports on the mainboard, they are connected via Mini-SAS-to-4-SATA splitter cables to the hotswap backplane, one for the first four 3.5 bays, the other for the fifth 3.5 bay and the two 2.5 bays. These two cables were connected wrong. Swapping them solved the issue.

ByteMan

Dabbler
Enclosure view only shows hot-swap bay mounted drives in a Mini X+
Is there a way to modify which or how many disks are shown on the "View Enclosure" page, in case additional disks are added to the remaining SATA ports on a Mini X+ unit? (There are 4 spare SATA ports in addition to the 2 Mini-SAS used for the 7 hot-swap bays)
The status + temperature of additional drives and the overall number of disks are not shown (see attached picture - 10 drives were connected at the time).

Attachments

• 1642710755800.png
    1642710755800.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 226