Mini-SAS SFF-8087 Right Angle cable

pwnerman

Explorer
I have been scouring the internet all day and I couldn't find what I need so you guys are my last resort.

I have a Dell R710 I received on Wednesday. I have been getting it ready the past two days for FreeNas. I got the H200 flashed into IT mode and everything is good and ready for drives. The only issue I have is the bulls*it Dell restriction on having to move the H200 to the other riser which in turn makes the mini sas cables too short.

So my dilemma is that after hours of scouring the internet I was not able to find a Mini SAS SFF-8087 to Mini SAS SSF-8087 with a right angle connector that is a meter long. I couldn't find any in the first place and most of the others I could find that long were like 50 bucks a pop which is retarded.

Anyway I was able to find a straight affordable one meter cable that would work thanks to these forums I just hope to God that there is enough clearance for them to be able to bend sideways. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025410&p_id=8189&seq=1&format=2

If I'm that unfortunate and they won't work either do you guys have any affordable suggestions for me that would work. These are the OEM ones just for reference. http://www.disctech.com/PERC-H700i-to-R710-SAS-Backplane-Cable

If anyone could direct me to what I need I would be very grateful.

Also I looked for these also but couldn't find anything but if there is an extender cable like 6 inches long that I could add onto the cables I already have that would work too.

Evi Vanoost

Explorer
Does it have to be angled exactly like that? I can understand one end being angled but usually the other one can be straight.

If you need SFF-8087 right angle horizontal to SFF-8087 right angle vertical which is indeed somewhat 'special', I'd suggest looking into contact Dell for a solution or a custom cable company.

A good SFF cable will indeed be relatively pricey especially if it's "odd" like yours, after all, you're using a Dell so expect to be gouged.

pwnerman

Explorer
Does it have to be angled exactly like that? I can understand one end being angled but usually the other one can be straight.

If you need SFF-8087 right angle horizontal to SFF-8087 right angle vertical which is indeed somewhat 'special', I'd suggest looking into contact Dell for a solution or a custom cable company.

A good SFF cable will indeed be relatively pricey especially if it's "odd" like yours, after all, you're using a Dell so expect to be gouged.
The one end doesn't matter. It can be straight. The end I might have issues with is on the backplane side.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is a link. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

NewEgg

Also, I did a simple search on Google for "SSF-8087 cable right angle" and then click the "Shopping" link. Lots to look at.

pwnerman

Explorer
Here is a link. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

NewEgg

Also, I did a simple search on Google for "SSF-8087 cable right angle" and then click the "Shopping" link. Lots to look at.

those might work but do you happen to know if they are any good? I don't want to risk my data to flaky cables. I did see a bunch of them from China and ones like that but I just didn't know if they were any good.

pwnerman

Explorer

rbendorf

Cadet
Walmart and also NewEgg have these cables in stock. I have ordered 4. I have a Dell R710 and these are plenty long to go from the H200 to the backplane board...hope this helps.

pwnerman

Explorer
Walmart and also NewEgg have these cables in stock. I have ordered 4. I have a Dell R710 and these are plenty long to go from the H200 to the backplane board...hope this helps.
I'm sorry but what cables are you referencing exactly? If you could link I would be thankful. Also it's awesome you have the same system so you know what's going on exactly. Yay haha

Also you route yours through that side channel as well right? It would have been nice if they put those on both sides or made channeling holes in the fan assembly

rbendorf

Cadet
Listed at Walmart and Newegg as: Right Angle Mini SAS 36pin Host SFF-8087 to Mini SAS 36Pin Target Cable 3.3Ft

I use them in a Dell R710 from a flashed H200 to the backplane...they are the longest that I could find and exactly what is needed for the R710/H200 combo!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Walmart has SAS cables? That's weird.

rbendorf

Cadet
Since they bought out Jet, they are handling much more that they ever have...they are expanding their online marketing Big Time! But anyway this is not the place to discuss marketing...I have added information for those who are looking for the above mentioned cables!

pwnerman

Explorer
Since they bought out Jet, they are handling much more that they ever have...they are expanding their online marketing Big Time! But anyway this is not the place to discuss marketing...I have added information for those who are looking for the above mentioned cables!

I found these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Target_Cable_3.3Ft-_-9SIA27C1S19790-_-Product

Are they what you were talking about?

Also I don't want to burden you but would you be willing to send me a photo of how you have your R710 cabling wired up? It would be an asset when mine get delivered.

rbendorf

Cadet
Perfect...these work for me and are the best that I could find...stay away from the ebay cables as they are ots in short. I dont have a pix, but you simply need to put the H200 into one of the available slots in the riser 1 or 2 and connect the cables into the connector, remove the existing cables from the backplane, plug one into one of the female sockets, and the other into the existing socket. If you are formatting/using ZFS system, then the H200 needs to be flashed to SAS2008-IT. Hope his helps.

pwnerman

Explorer
Perfect...these work for me and are the best that I could find...stay away from the ebay cables as they are ots in short. I dont have a pix, but you simply need to put the H200 into one of the available slots in the riser 1 or 2 and connect the cables into the connector, remove the existing cables from the backplane, plug one into one of the female sockets, and the other into the existing socket. If you are formatting/using ZFS system, then the H200 needs to be flashed to SAS2008-IT. Hope his helps.

thanks man. If these monoprice ones I purchased already don't work I'll get these. I already have all the drivers updated and I already got my H200 flashed to the P20 IT firmware so I'm good. All I need now is the drives and these cables plus a boot usb.

TeraWales

Cadet
Hi...If you need SFF-8087 right angle horizontal to SFF-8087 right angle vertical which is indeed somewhat 'special', I'd suggest looking into contact Dell for a solution or a custom cable company.A good SFF cable will indeed be relatively price.

printed board assembly

Last edited: