mini itx build recommendation in 2021 (X10SDV-4C-TLN2F )

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The issue with the X10SDV is firmware on the X552/X557. Supermicro released a firmware update available via support e-mail, but they mailed me the wrong one for one of my boards and managed to brick the onboard 10G. Ugh. Other than that, the X10SDV has been a generally pleasant board.

Etorix

Wizard
A wrong firmware managed to brick the onboard 10GbE without a way to restore it back? Wow!
I think I'll keep on "ignoring" there might be an update somewhere and follow Supermicro's own advice NOT to update firmware/BIOS unless there's an issue with the version in use…

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is the firmware/whatever for the 10GbE itself. It's whatever this problem is:

My hypervisor setups are 4x10GbE, and so I had been supplementing the x557 with an x520(?) card to get my other two ports. These firmware flashes are not retail customer updates that are generally available, they go in and tinker with the inner workings of the x557 itself. So when they sent me the wrong one and it configured it for some OTHER board's specifics, that was apparently a one-way street that the correct firmware update, which they sent later, wasn't able to install over. So I was kinda annoyed because I wasn't going to be taking the machine out of service for an RMA to Supermicro. I decided to just go to the newer X710-DA4 cards I've been deploying.