Migrating from virtualized Core 13.0-U1.1 to bare-metal Scale

jmoerdyk

Cadet
I have a virtualized Core 13.0-U1.1 install that I'm wanting to migrate to Scale on bare metal. Primarily because the HBA is not supported on newer versions of ESXi, and I have a newer virtualization server.

I have recent backups of all the data I cannot afford to lose.
I have no jails, nor running any plugins, pool.

I'd like to move the boot pool for TrueNAS Scale to dual SATA DOM (I have 2 new fresh drives).

What would be the best way to migrate this?
1) Export the current pool, fresh install Scale on bare metal, import the pool
2) Export pool, fresh install Core on bare metal, import the pool, migrate to Scale
3) Migrate to Scale in VM, export the pool, fresh install Scale on bare metal, import the pool
4) Some other procedure?

Hardware:
SuperMicro X10SDV-7TP4F
Xeon-D 1537 (8 core, 16 Thread)
64GB Registered ECC @ 2133 MHz
HBA: LSI/Avago/Broadcom SAS2116 (on-board)

Drives:
1x SuperMicro 64GB SATA DOM (ESXi boot)
1x Toshiba OCZ RD 400 NVMe SSD (ESXi VM Storage)
6x Seagate Iron Wolf 8TB (ST8000VN004-2M21)
2x Samsung 850 SATA SSD

Hypervisor: ESXi 6.7
TrueNAS VM: 4 vCPU, 32 GB RAM, HBA on PCI-passthrough
Boot: 20GB virtual disk on OCZ SSD
Storage Pool (RAIDZ2)
6x Iron Wolf (data)
2x Samsung 850 (cache)

Hi!

Hope everything went well with the migration. I'm about to do exactly the same as you. Core as a VM in esxi and moving over to scale bare metal.

How did you solve this, which way did you chose? And where there any problems? I was thinking to update to scale first in VM , then export drives (and backup), then fresh install of scale and import everything. By doing this i was hoping that I would have the original esxi installation in one piece until I'm sure the new installation works.

Thank you/Mikael

jmoerdyk

Cadet
I ultimately decided to pause my plan on moving to Scale until it is a bit more mature, maybe Bluefin hits release.
I id move to a bare metal install of Core by exporting the pool, doing a fresh install on the dual SATA DOM and then importing the pool.

Thank you for your reply. I'll have to see where I'm heading. Having problems in esxi so I "have"to move.

/Micke