Memory Upgrade for Supermicro X11SCH-F

SeaWolfX

Explorer
Hi. I built my server with a Supermicro X11SCH-F about 4 years ago with 32GB RAM. It was a Crucial Micron DDR4 32GB, Low Profile, 2666 MHz / PC4-21300, CL19, 1.2V, Unbuffered ECC memory.

Now I want to upgrade it with some more memory, but the one I bought back then seems to be out of production and there are not many like it available. I'm a bit uncertain about what type it is ok to buy for the upgrade and whether or not I can mix a new with the old one or if I need to replace it completely with one or two new ones.

The motherboard product page mentions up to ECC DDR4-2666MHz memory, but looking at a compatibility list for Crucial for instance, many DDR4-3200 modules are listed. I also think I remember that it was somewhere mentioned that the memory had to be unbuffered (UDIMM) which is why I bought that back then.

Does anyone have any experience with this motherboard and could give me a tip about which "modern/in-production" memory modules could be a good choice for an upgrade to 64GB+?

Davvo

MVP
I would look first on the used market for a set identical to the one you already owe.

Etorix

Wizard
I no longer own a X11SCH, but in my general experience, it is fine to use different pairs of RAM modules.
Get another set of DDR4 ECC UDIMM, 2666 MHz or higher, and do not worry about finding the same reference as the one you have.

nabsltd

Contributor
Now I want to upgrade it with some more memory, but the one I bought back then seems to be out of production and there are not many like it available. I'm a bit uncertain about what type it is ok to buy for the upgrade and whether or not I can mix a new with the old one or if I need to replace it completely with one or two new ones.
I assume you have 2 slots out of the 4 filled right now. If so, you can fill the other two with any memory that fits the motherboard spec, and all memory will run at the speed of the slowest memory, but not faster than the motherboard will support. The rule of thumb is don't mix memory brands in the same channel, but a channel is two slots of the same color on that motherboard.

The motherboard product page mentions up to ECC DDR4-2666MHz memory, but looking at a compatibility list for Crucial for instance, many DDR4-3200 modules are listed. I also think I remember that it was somewhere mentioned that the memory had to be unbuffered (UDIMM) which is why I bought that back then.
The only type of RAM the motherboard supports is unbuffered ECC. It does not support non-ECC or registered. You'll have to buy more UDIMMs.

If I were you, I'd get another pair of DDR4 32GB UDIMMs that are rated no faster than 2666MHz. Micron, Crucial, Samsung, and Nanya are all good.

SeaWolfX

Explorer
I no longer own a X11SCH, but in my general experience, it is fine to use different pairs of RAM modules.
Get another set of DDR4 ECC UDIMM, 2666 MHz or higher, and do not worry about finding the same reference as the one you have.
Thanks for the input. So going up to 3200 MHz should be fine?

SeaWolfX

Explorer
I assume you have 2 slots out of the 4 filled right now. If so, you can fill the other two with any memory that fits the motherboard spec, and all memory will run at the speed of the slowest memory, but not faster than the motherboard will support. The rule of thumb is don't mix memory brands in the same channel, but a channel is two slots of the same color on that motherboard.
Thanks for the input. No, I actually only have one 32GB module. But, I guess if I buy another brand I could maybe buy two and put them in their own channel and the one I have in the other one?

If I were you, I'd get another pair of DDR4 32GB UDIMMs that are rated no faster than 2666MHz. Micron, Crucial, Samsung, and Nanya are all good.

After more digging, it actually looks like I have only 3 options to choose from here in Norway for a DDR4 ECC UDIMM memory: a Kingston 2666 MHz or 3200 Mhz, or a Crucial 3200 MHz.

nabsltd

Contributor
Thanks for the input. No, I actually only have one 32GB module. But, I guess if I buy another brand I could maybe buy two and put them in their own channel and the one I have in the other one?
You're better off buying 4x 16GB modules and filling all the slots. Filling both slots in a channel gives you better speed.

Plus, 16GB UDIMMs are much easier to find than 32GB. Sell the 32GB afterward to offset some of the cost. You can get 4x 16GB shipped to Norway for about US$110: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195938633454

One of the reasons I always pick motherboards that support registered ECC is that it is insanely cheap on the used market. If your board could support registered, it would be about US$40 for a 32GB DIMM of the speed you want.