Media Subtype: 100baseTX even though my cable should be Gigabit.

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
It's telling me my Media Subtype is 100baseTX, and I know my cables are CAT6 (which I just changed), which I thought it should run at 1000baseTX. The router is also Gigabit...
Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
BTW the computer said it was Gigabit Networking, I even found the old webpage for the Motherboard, just to make sure.
I really want to get something faster than 10MB per second transfer.

Any help would be nice...

c77dk

Patron
Which NIC are you using? And what is it connected to?

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
Which NIC are you using? And what is it connected to?
Whatever on the Motherboard, since I couldn't put in a NIC card since the heatsink on the video card overhangs the other slot, I might be able to fit one in but it would be really close. Every product listing for the M11AD by ASUS (TrueNAS doesn't tell me, at least I couldn't find it) says it Gigabit. In fact, I haven't needed a separate NIC card in quite a while. It connected to my AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Router (model: Archer A5) from there to my iBuyPower (Realtec PCI GbE) computer. ALL of them stated they had Gigabit. I haven't seen any computer in a long time that hasn't had Gigabit.
The only networking cable I don't know is the one from the Cable modem to my router since I didn't install that, the cable company did, which shouldn't affect the speed of my NAS.

Setup is...
M11AD (model) to AC1200 Router to B450M-IBW (motherboard)

Any suggestion to try or a solution to the problem would be great.

c77dk

Patron
looks like it's a Realtek NIC - which usually isn't the best (mildly put). Best advice would be to throw in a Intel NIC instead.

QuantumLeaper

Dabbler
looks like it's a Realtek NIC - which usually isn't the best (mildly put). Best advice would be to throw in a Intel NIC instead.

I guess I will have to wait a couple of months to do that since I have one of my HDs in the NAS I have to replace first. If I do that, I think I may put NICs in both of the computers. The only problem is fitting the NAS since I don't have a lot of room because of the heatsink on the video card. I try to limit my hardware purchases to one per month.

Thanks for the help, even though it really didn't fix my problem.

Just checked an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter would be fine, right.

Arwen

MVP
I have personally seen bent pins inside a chassis 8P8C connector, (aka RJ-45). In that old case, it was 100Mbps and it could only receive data, could not transmit. Turns out one or both the transmit lines were bent. Easy temporary fix, (we had a support contract on that workstation). After the fix, I told the user don't touch it until it's been replaced.

In your case, it's possible you have a bad cable, or chassis connector at either end. Simply unplug and look to make sure all the lines are, well, lined up and springy.

If you have a cable tester you can try that on the cable. Or try the cable in another place that uses Gigabit Ethernet.

Last, while 10/100Mbps uses 2 pairs of the 4 pairs, Gigabit uses all 4 pairs, and each pair is bi-directional. Thus, if one of the Gigabit only pairs is non-functional, speed will drop to 100Mbps.

I once had that last problem on a wall connector. Since I was using another one as 10/100Mbps, easy enough fix for me to simply swap wiring, and not fix the problem in the wall plate.

Last edited: