Media stream to mobile devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zachary Karabatsos

I am looking to set up my own "cloud" for streaming video/music to my smartphone (one iphone/one droid). I want to be able to access media and stream from anywhere, not just on my local network.

I have looked at a few options but wanted advice.

Brand

Since your post is not a How-To Guide and this part of the FreeNAS forums is specifically for How-To Guides it would have been much better if you had posted it in the FreeNAS 4 N00bs forum. I would suggest browsing around in that forum and seeing if you can get this thread moved to the appropriate forum so that you will get a larger audience for your question.

ohnename

Explorer
DAAP/DLNA not implemented yet but it is on the roadmap for FreeNAS 8.1.
For your Iphone and for your Android telephone you should be able to find a FTP, NFS oder CIFS client for access to your data. Thats not streaming but should work.

Darkaine

Explorer
I did this with my windows phone. however, not over the net. But I agree with ohnename, if you can find (or develop) a client for your phone it should work out fine. I personally prefer developing my own software for things like this but thats just me. Google around, I'm sure you can find one, or some code to help you get started.

Darkaine

Explorer
Wow that's annoying... This post (and account) should be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.