Map Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

George D.

Dabbler
Quick question. I am considering a few systems for a home file server and really like FreeNAS.

I have three Windows PC's that will be connecting to the server. My question is, can I map a network drive from the PC's to the server with FreeNAS?

diedrichg

Wizard
Yes, you will be mapping to the SMB share that you will setup within FreeNAS. \\ServerLocalIP\ShareName

I have a batch file that automatically mounts the share at login as launched by the Task Scheduler, I've found this to be much more reliable that letting Windows do it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I have three Windows PC's that will be connecting to the server. My question is, can I map a network drive from the PC's to the server with FreeNAS?
With FreeNAS you are sharing datasets that you create, with the other clients (not just Windows machines) on your network.
There will be a learning curve with users/groups/permissions so your Windows machines can have access.
The FreeNAS manual and these forums have all the info you will need to make that happen.

George D.

Dabbler
Awesome.... Currently, I have been learning FreeBSD as kind of a starting point. Will the FreeBSD knowledge be helpful in learning FreeNAS?

melloa

Wizard
Quick question. I am considering a few systems for a home file server and really like FreeNAS.

FreeNAS is a great NAS plus must more. I'm using it at home for couple years and have never lost a single file. Check these videos for tips on CIFs configuration: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

melloa

Wizard

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.