Manual Fan Controll (IPMI)

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hello Everybody,

Today I updated my FreeNAS Server from 11.2 to 11.3 and ran into a problem with IPMI. I managed to fix it by setting a new threshold for my CPU fan, which is connected to the Mainboard.

Now the FAN runs at 1100 RPM but I want it to run slower at 700 RPM or even a little lower than that. On the IPMI page I can only set a FAN Mode but not RPM Value. Therefore i wanted to know if someone knows how to control a FAN manually.

Thank you all for your help

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello Everybody,

Today I updated my FreeNAS Server from 11.2 to 11.3 and ran into a problem with IPMI. I managed to fix it by setting a new threshold for my CPU fan, which is connected to the Mainboard.

Now the FAN runs at 1100 RPM but I want it to run slower at 700 RPM or even a little lower than that. On the IPMI page I can only set a FAN Mode but not RPM Value. Therefore i wanted to know if someone knows how to control a FAN manually.

Thank you all for your help
What brand and model of motherboard are you using?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I use a Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F
Ah, SuperMicro! That's good because there are a lot of experienced SuperMicro users here. I'm not familiar with your board, but it probably at least supports setting fan speed and thresholds using IPMI. You may or may not be able to set the duty cycle, too -- that varies from board to board.

Here's a forum search that yields quite a bit of information that ought to get you started: