SOLVED Malwarebytes preventing access to SMB shares on FreeNAS box - FYI

Redcoat

MVP
Last Friday my long-serving daily 00h30 Veeam W10-workstation backup to a FreeNAS 11.3-U5 share failed. The NAS shares also were not visible in File Explorer.

On rebooting W10, the shares became visible again and a manually-initiated backup completed. Some time later in the day the shares were unavailable again. Reboot the workstation - they're back; an hour or so later, gone again...

Then began 3 days of investigation into permissions, credentials, NIC's, switches, cables, W10 setup, etc. Known-to-me recent system activity was updating my two FreeNAS boxes from 11.3 to TrueNAS and then back again to 11.3 to await 12-U1, and a W10 update, so I was concerned that those had disrupted something. But nothing that I did, or redid, helped. I was close to reinstalling W10, so you can judge how desperate I felt...

However, late yesterday afternoon I found a post on Ask Woody (formerly Windows Secrets) advising that Malwarebytes had just pushed out (on 11/01) an update to fix a drive access problem created by an earlier update. Switching Malwarebytes off on my workstation fixed the drive access problem, updating it to the latest (Version 4.2.2.95) allowed it to run with no drive access issues.

Perhaps this may help someone else solve a problem.