Mac OS X and Spotlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex in Muc

Cadet
Hello,
how can I make searches with spotlight faster? On Mac OS X Server the server will create and update the spotlight index file, but how could this be done with FreeNAS? Searching the forum doesn't really gibe any help. All whats coming up is that clients have to index (and update) this index, which mean that every client (we have 10) has do do it and when the indexing is running the server slows down :-(
Are there any plugins which can do the indexing on the server?

Alex in Muc

Cadet
Hello russnas,
yeah, this 2 hints or workarounds I've already found but I don't think that this should be the whole thruth :-(
The first one must be done from every mac which have to search the NAS and everytime this reindexing is started from a mac the NAS performance is really going down :-(

The second we use in the moment but normaly the NAS itself should play better with OS X searches or I can't recomment it in an Mac only universe. Looks like I have to blame an earlier admin here who recommended and installed this device :-(

regards
Alex

russnas

Contributor
i see you have to do that everytime you mount the drive?,
my setup is pathfinder,filezilla, and easy find but will need to index my media to prevent duplicates.

there maybe hope with this these two programs - foxtrot personal and search server, i only tried for a few mins but i will try again tomorrow, looks promising

http://www.ctmdev.com/download/index.html

Alex in Muc

Cadet
i see you have to do that everytime you mount the drive?,

No, not everytime I log in but once for every Mac. And I don't know if the Mac keep the Index after the first indexing up to date or if I have to do it sometimes later again because others have stored new files on the server at times where this Mac was offline.

Because I'm at holidays now I can't check the foxtrot stuff in detail but their server seems to run on some Mac and not on the freenas which means that we need a dedicated Mac for indexing the NAS... If this is true than it would be easier to put the Freenas behind this Mac (attache the FreeNAS locally) and let do the filesharing the OS X Server.

Nevertheless thankyou for trying the foxtrot stuff :smile:

russnas

Contributor
it seems only for macs, i couldnt connect to my ip address or share, they dont state it will work with our setups,

Status
Not open for further replies.