LSI 9240 to 9211 crossflash problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

autotalon

Cadet
Hello, I waited to ask anyone until I had tried any/everything I could think of, and I cant get this IT mode firmware to work. I have a lot of LSI branded 9240-8i cards from Lenovo servers that we never use, and I have yet to successfully flash the firmware. I did wipe one, but have not got the actual flash to work. Things i've tried:
-Freedos boot (gets "Failed to initialize PAL" error). Tried this on three different motherboards, I had to leave the CSM enabled to get it to boot at all, if I turned it off it wouldnt recognize the drive
-UEFI shell . The only one I've got to work is Refind, if I try to initialize a FAT32 GPT drive myself and put the shell in EFI/boot, boot/EFI, or the root it has not worked. I also tried swapping the EFI file out after I write the Refind image, and it just makes it fail to boot. Tried it with theirs and LSI's shell.

-Tried LSI USB tool. Made it, got it to boot, gives same "Failed to initialize PAL" error when i get there.

The only conclusion I can come to is that I probably should be able to get sas2flash.efi to boot directly, but I cant seem to figure out how. The closest I feel I got was booting from Refind and trying to run sas2flash, at which point I got an error that indicated that the shell didnt support the command.

Any suggestions welcome. If anyone can just make a DD image of one they know works, that'd probably be helpful.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What motherboard are you trying this on?

autotalon

Cadet
What motherboard are you trying this on?
I have tried three so far, an Asus Intel 1155 board (cant remember model off the top of my head), Asus Crosshair V Formula Z AM3 board, and a Lenovo TS140 server. Also tried my NAS, Intel Atom D525MW (not sure if that one supports real EFI, FreeNAS wont even boot from EFI on it)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Neither of the Asus boards has an EFI shell included in ROM? I'm used to seeing Asus boards include it.

autotalon

Cadet
Neither of the Asus boards has an EFI shell included in ROM? I'm used to seeing Asus boards include it.
Nope, even in EFI mode with CSM disabled, no shell. I tried clearing the keys and making sure secure boot was disabled as well, no change. I remember some of my other boards having it; if my main rig wasnt so hard to use for something like this i'd try it as it's significantly newer.

JnB

Cadet
Hi, Did you have any luck on this ?

I'm having a Lenovo 530-8i available (9440-8i) and since I'm new on the crossflashing thing was hoping to get some advice

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you don't have a UEFI shell built in, you can just provide one on a FAT32 disk and boot to it.

autotalon

Cadet
Hi, Did you have any luck on this ?

I'm having a Lenovo 530-8i available (9440-8i) and since I'm new on the crossflashing thing was hoping to get some advice
Not yet, still having problems getting a shell to boot that supports the necessary commands. I got a standard shell to boot once, but it gave an error that seemed to indicate that the shell wasnt the right version for the firmware flash. I'm surprised there isnt a prebuilt image for this that's easy to use. LSI has one, but I couldnt get it to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.