LSI 9211-8i causes RAM slot one to be disabled

dbhnyc

Cadet
I have a Dell Vostro 3670 with a LSI 9211 in the PCIe slot. I have installed Truenas on and it is working fine except that RAM slot 1 is showing as empty in the BIOS. I have 2 - 8gb DIMMs installed.

I have swaped DIMMs and still no slot 1. If i remove the LSI card the bios shows both DIMMs. I have checked BIOS settings and don't see anything that would effect it.

I can live with 8gb if I have to but I am stumped why it is happening. I have done a bunch of searching on this but no dice.

Thanks for any help.

dbhnyc

Cadet
I moved the card to a different PC and had the same issue. I moved it back an all the memory now shows up.

I could be a seating issue or dirt/corrosion on the contacts. Or maybe a flaky card. I will keep an eye on it but so far so good.

Thanks

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Specifically, check the comment replies - several users report that taping over the B5/B6 SMBus pins allows their systems to see the full RAM capacity - see thumbnail below.

b5-b6.jpg

(Although that comment section needs to fry a bit of the Spam.)

GBillR

Contributor
I had a similar issue with an Intel PCI-e ssd and my Supermicro X11 board. The solution was to reposition a jumper on the motherboard to disable the PCI-e slot's SMBus. Does your board support disabling the SMBus via a jumper or perhaps via BIOS?