LSI 2008 Controller Card - Lots of PCI Devices

bigstoo

Cadet
Hi all.

I am running my TrueNAS install on top of a VMWare ESXi 6.5 system.
I have two LSI 2008 controllers that I passthrough to the TrueNAS host. Everything works fine. However, in the list of PCI devices the two cards appear very differently.
One is listed as a single entry as device 05:00.0
The other one appears as 06:00.0, 06:01.0, 06:02.0, ... 06:1e.0, -6:1f.0. (32 devices in all)

Now, I have just passed through the first device, 06:00.0, and all seems to work fine. I'm wondering if I'm making the best use of available bandwidth, though.

Does anyone know why the two devices appear differently? Is it down to the firmware?
Should I worry?

bigstoo

Cadet
For anyone that's interested, it was firmware related.
I have updated to the P20 IT firmware and there is now only one PCI device listed for each controller.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Interesting...

This reminds me of the Intel SSD which was really an SAS2008 with a bunch of SATA (or maybe SAS) SSDs wired up to it. The thing had custom firmware to hide its nature. But not custom enough to not be detected by LSI's standard tools. At least two separate people on this forum managed to accidentally flash their SSDs with standard LSI firmware. I'm not sure if it makes it more or less useful, to be honest.