Lots of Probes no booting :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Am attempting to install freenas 9 rc2 using lsi sas 9201-16i. When booting from cd-rom or usb stick img I see the following. I also have a second server running the exact same hardware (except different hard drives), with no issue.

(probe2:mps0:0:2:0): inquiry. cdb: 12 00 00 00 24 00 length 36 SMID 869 terminated ioc 804b scsi 0 state c xfer 0

Also
still waiting after 60 seconds xpt_config

This messages continue forever? (still going) with the SMID keeps increasing by 1. Any thoughts? Thanks!

With the LSI card pulled it boots fine. With all drives pulled it boots fine.

Upgrading to firmware 16 did nothing for it.

Same issue on 8.3.1

Trying to use this
http://forums.freebsd.org/archive/index.php/t-4505.html

To get the latest driver (mpslsi_load=”YES”) to LOAD.

Was able to get latest driver working (I think) and now the repeating error reads

(probe2:mpslsi0:0:2:0): inquiry. cdb: 12 00 00 00 24 00 length 36 SMID 869 terminated ioc 804b scsi 0 state c xfer 0

but everything else is the same . . .

Yea I feel stupid now. It was the drive that was causing it . . . a Seagate 2GB st2000dm001. In my defense it was a brand new drive :( Also in my defense I don't think the default behavior should be to retry FOREVER.

On a brighter note, I now have the latest driver and firmware for my LSI :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh heck no. We still flog people for that mistake. :P

Honestly, when I get a new drive I do a SMART short and long test, then a badblocks run, then another long test, then look at the SMART data. If it looks good I'll put it in my FreeNAS machine.

In a business environment I'll generally do badblocks several times over before I'd let a business use it.

Every little bit helps prevent infant mortality.

Status
Not open for further replies.