Lost the USB with 8.3 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkavis

Explorer
while moving a few weeks ago I lost the USB Drive that had the 8.3 freenas OS. I don't have a backup or the backup of the config.

What options do I have to get my server running?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Whattteva

Wizard
It's not that bad. It's more annoying than anything.
You can just simply reimage another USB drive with 8.3 FreeNAS and boot that.

Since you don't have your config backed up though, this is where the annoyance factor comes in.
You will have to reimport your pools and reconfigure all of your settings manually.
The GUI should be able to auto-import your volumes though.

venkavis

Explorer
Since I am going to use a clean OS USB disk and start, Can I use 9.1.0 directly? Or do I have to find 8.3.1 only?

My understanding was data and OS was separate and should work.

Wanted to check with experts before experimenting.

Whattteva

Wizard
Yes, you can just do a straight upgrade to 9.1.
The data and the OS are separate. In fact, I did just what you asked only 3 weeks ago.

The only time you can't do that is if you started from 9.1, you won't be able to go back to 8.3 because 9.1 uses a new version of zfs that's incompatible with 8.3. FreeNAS 9.1 has no trouble reading older zfs formats though.

venkavis

Explorer
Thanks Whatteva. It worked.

Interstingly I reinstalled MiniDLNA and it seems to be updated and working well. Now I am able ti assign one media folder and it recursively scans all sub directories which wasnt happening before.

I hope we get more plugins and make freeNAS a great software. Loving it more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.