Looking for pool/vdev design advice

pricemc1

Dabbler
Hi all,
I am standing up a new TrueNas array with the primary purpose being to host VMware virtual machines on NFS and/or iSCSI based datastores presented from the TrueNas array. For this project I have a wide selection of drives already available to me and I'm looking to essentially build several pools with them for backing VMware datastores that will each provide different storage performance levels and sizes. The VMs being run on these pools will be a mixed bag ranging from some having strong disk performance mixed I/O requirements down to some being mostly idle (file servers). Most VMs will not use more than 100 GB of disk space but there are some that may require 1 TB here and there.

I was hoping that if I list the inventory of drives I have available that people could make some suggestions for pool and vdev design using what I have available. Here is what I have to work with:

2 * 256 GB M2 NVMe SSD Drives (2 more can be added if needed)
6 * 3.92 TB SAS-2 2.5" SSD Drives
18 * 900 GB SAS-2 2.5" HDD Drives
3 * 930 GB SATA-3 2.5" SSD Drives
4 * 950 GB SATA-3 2.5" SSD Drives
10 * 256 GB SATA-3 2.5" SSD Drives

I was kind of thinking a high performance pool of mirrored vdevs would be built off of the 6 SAS SSDs and 1 or more lower performance pools would be built off the 18 SAS HDDs. I figure most of the smaller 256 GB drives would be used in supplementary vdev roles (i.e. cache, log, metadata, dedupe). The 930/950 GB SATA SSDs I didnt really have any thoughts on. Maybe use them for a mid level performance tier?

For compute hardware this will all be running on a Dell PowerEdge R730XD with the following specs:

- 2 Xeon E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz CPUs
- 160 GB RAM
- 24+2 SAS/SATA drive bays in the server
- 4*10 GB NIC Ports
- Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA330 adapter for drives in the server drive bays
- LSI 9200-8e PCIe 6 Gbps SAS-2 HBA connected to a NetApp DS2246 SAS-2 JBOD (24 bays, currently housing the 18 * 900GB HDDs)
- Dell 12 Gbps SAS-3 HBA connected to a Dell PowerVault 1420 SAS-3 JBOD (24 bays, no drives allocated to this yet)

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts anyone can provide...

pricemc1