Local Backup On External Hard Drive

RMAZOUZI

Explorer
Hello ,

we just come to deploy Truenas Server in our production envirrenement so in order to ensure the availibility we intend to backup the contents on hard driver external USB what is the best backup on USB hard driver.

Redcoat

MVP

Arwen

MVP
If this is a true production environment, then you should use quality hard drives, & stored for reliability. Not saying they need to be expensive, but some hard drives in USB enclosures are less about quality, than about ease of use with USB.

For example, if you use bare drives, you can store them in anti-static plastic bags, which can then be inserted into hard shell cases. I list such a case in that resource Redcoat referenced. Those cases are suitable for transportation off-site, with little worry the drives will be damaged in transit.

Then for attachment to the server, my 2 older external USB chassis that take bare 3.5" hard drives are a bit cheesy / consumer grade. I absolutely wanted active / fan cooling for the disk inside the external USB chassis. Those are pretty hard to find.

In the end, I found a rock solid, (and physically heavy due to strong steel being used), USB / eSATA / Firewire single disk chassis with active / fan cooling for the disk. It works great and IS PROD quality, but much more expensive than consumer grade models.

It is in someways about the trade offs. Using cheaper USB enclosures with built in disks may cost less, and then you can buy more of them for increasing backup disk rotations. But, they are cheaper and potentially will fail more often. Failing because they may lack active / fan cooling, which for ZFS is more or less a requirement.

awasb

Patron
Two eSATA attached IronWolfs 3.5 HDDs — each in a Fantec case (with Asmedia ASMT2115 controller) — served me well. The cost around 30 EUR. No problems with hot plugging, scrubbing, camcontrol (power states), temps, whatsoever ...