Resource icon

List of known SMR drives

Yorick

Wizard
The source for the assertion that a drive is SMR is literally right next to the drive. In this case it’s Seagate’s site: https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/cmr-smr-list/
That's the reason I raised the issue... a discrepancy between the Seagate summary view and what appeared to be quite a detailed breakdown of the specified drives on the quoted site. Having carefully considered @HoneyBadger's response about areal density though, I'm quite satisfied that the quoted site has the Admission Procedure data recorded incorrectly.

Last edited:
This seems to be an excellent resource to determine SMR vs CMR

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This seems to be an excellent resource to determine SMR vs CMR

Yorick posted his resource, at my encouragement, a week earlier. Brief inspection suggests that Nascompares may have plagiarized at least the initial list of drives, although it looks like Nascompares also created a mechanism to maintain a more thorough list on an ongoing basis. Since links to authoritative lists of SMR vs CMR from the various vendors have been posted in this thread, this may run afoul of the offsite links policy (which is effectively: please do not push people offsite for information that's already available onsite).

please do not push people offsite for information that's already available onsite).
OK. I'll stop trying to be helpful

Arwen

MVP
@elvisimprsntr - I understand your comment.

But, their have been times that off-site links have done one or more of these;
  • Linked for the purpose of advertisement
  • Linked site has excessive advertisements
  • Malware
  • Remote site may change URL
  • Linked site has some disagreeable content, (explicit photos for example). Or is all about disagreeable content.
  • Remote site may be hacked and have one or more of the above put in place
This does not apply just to this forum, but many others have similar policies for similar reasons.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I understand your comment.

And the reason the link wasn't removed was because the spirit in which it was offered was understood and appreciated. I'm sorry if I failed to make that clear. It seems like my annoyance with the apparent plagiarism won out. I intended for the "reprimand" to be tepid in nature. Again, sorry if it came across otherwise.