Linus tech tips on SMR Archive drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Wizard
Linus is back with some hideous "innovative ideas".
Fun thing to note - he obviously came here to read up on the drives performance and STILL went on with the unRAID solution for his tests.
Enjoy.

Some information presented are perhaps (if considered valid) pretty interesting to judge the long term applicability of SMR drives into a CoW system with high fragmentation.
That seem to be fairly nightmarish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQS-IhjkBSA

Ping @Ericloewe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Holy crap, that idea is horrible even by his standards.

INCSlayer

Contributor
Aww linus never stop being a guide for how NOT todo something

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I particularly like how his standard is "I'd like to lose only some data".

Dice

Wizard
My favorite part is the beginning where he bluntly reminds the viewers that quite a lot of his ideas don't seem to work out ...all too well. :D

Stux

MVP
Looked into unRAID once. Looked away very quickly. Have they got more than a single disk of parity yet?

Mlovelace

Guru
Looked into unRAID once. Looked away very quickly. Have they got more than a single disk of parity yet?
Yeah, they do dual parity. unRAID is built on the same tech as drobo, so..., Not much else to say about that ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have they got more than a single disk of parity yet?
Magical parity that allows the reconstruction of the data from any drive, despite files being "written directly to disk"?

Yeah, that's not possible.

Dice

Wizard
Magical parity that allows the reconstruction of the data from any drive, despite files being "written directly to disk"?

Yeah, that's not possible.
It is possible :)
Flexraid-F and snapraid does it similarly to unraid AFAIK. With the notable exception that snapraid is the only one that actually provides a 'scrublike' functionality.

I ran em both for a while prior to ....ending up here. x)

{HD}

Dabbler
Yeah, they do dual parity. unRAID is built on the same tech as drobo, so..., Not much else to say about that ;)
I just freed myself from behind a Drobo! It was in use for 4 years. It will now live in its shipping box until I decide to throw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.