Link Aggregation doesn't work as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

lprawita

Cadet
I have tried many scenarios regarding my Link Aggregation performance trial.
My Freenas has been equipped with server-grade Intel Dual NIC Adapter which I managed to combine successfully (LAGG0 is created successfully with DHCP IP address).
Then I use another PC (Win7; also equipped with the same server-grade Intel Dual NIC Adapter) and I managed to install Teaming Utility from Intel successfully too.
One last thing, I use HP Procurve 1810G (managed gigabit switch) to link all the necessary trunks. I use port 1 & 2 for Win7 and port 3 & 4 for Freenas.
Each port has been configured with appropriate trunks.

So I thought everything is set and I should get a decent read & write performance on the Freenas.

Result so far, I only managed to get 60-80MBps for read & write on the Freenas.

I don't know what I did wrong. I thought I should be able to get more than that (perhaps over 100MBps read/write)

If anyone has any answers at all, please help me. I have spent two days.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you search the forum for the words "Link Aggregation" and "LACP" and perhaps "lagg0" you'll find that LACP works nothing like people that haven't used it before think. It's great for when you have alot of users(25+) and it works great if you want redundancy in case a NIC fails. But for any single machine you cannot exceed the capacity of 1x(your fastest link speed), ever.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You mean even though he has dual port on both ends you can't get double the speed.. nope. The whole thing behind LACP revolves around having LOTS of users. Doesn't work for any single link. No way around it. If you want more speed for a single link then you have to buy those nice shiny(and expensive) 10Gb NICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.