SOLVED KVM Guest Cannot Ping TrueNAS SCALE Host (or vice-versa)

bleomycin

Cadet
Just wanted to add i'm suffering from the same issue. Following the steps suggested in multiple threads here fails just as others have reported. I've used a similar configuration under proxmox for years without issue so i'm guessing this is a bug as well? Bridge interface with LAN adapter bound to it with the Bridge being assigned a static ip should normally take care of this but it just isn't here.

Ziggy

Contributor
Re-tested again today. Interface hung after applied all the changes as described and used the test network button. Hard reset required to access webgui again.

driekus

Cadet
I found an alternate solution that I thought I would share. My computer has two network ports. I connected the second network port to my computer and then directed the VM to use that network port.
A simple solution if you have the network ports.

Ziggy

Contributor
Worked! Many thanks. My FreeNAS Mini has two NICs. Copied a file from an ubuntu VM to a host share. I have also just tested accessing my LAN externally via WireGuard and this functions too. So you have solved a major problem for me. I am looking at a long trip next month and I thought I was going to have to revert to Core in order to have this functionality. Much appreciated. This solution would never have occurred to me. :cool:

Kasazn

Explorer
On Core, using one NIC worked. My computer does not have 2 NICs unfortunately.

Ziggy

Contributor
Yes, that was my experience too on Core. We will have to await and and see if the release candidate provides this - i.e. is it a bug? - or is this lack of functionality somehow a feature of the Linux implementation of Scale.

bsotak

Dabbler
I found an alternate solution that I thought I would share. My computer has two network ports. I connected the second network port to my computer and then directed the VM to use that network port.
A simple solution if you have the network ports.
This worked for me, although it's frustrating to have to go through the network switch to transfer data (rather than direct). Hopefully they will fix the bridging functionality (or have it work out of the box) so that you can nfs/smb mount disks from the SCALE host on the VM.

bsotak

Dabbler
This worked for me, although it's frustrating to have to go through the network switch to transfer data (rather than direct). Hopefully they will fix the bridging functionality (or have it work out of the box) so that you can nfs/smb mount disks from the SCALE host on the VM.
So using both network adapters had been working perfectly, but I performed a reboot of my TrueNAS Scale box this morning, and now I can't ping the NAS from the VM anymore. I updated to the latest nightly (I think I was on one from ~1-2 weeks ago) and that didn't help either. Anyone else having issues with this?

brando56894

Wizard
I was having issues with this as well, and while looking up solutions, someone had suggested just passing a second NIC to the VM, so I just took that route instead of fighting with the bridge. Obviously not everyone has this ability, and it only works if you're running one VM.

Ziggy

Contributor
So using both network adapters had been working perfectly, but I performed a reboot of my TrueNAS Scale box this morning, and now I can't ping the NAS from the VM anymore. I updated to the latest nightly (I think I was on one from ~1-2 weeks ago) and that didn't help either. Anyone else having issues with this?
Same issue has arisen for me o_O

bsotak

Dabbler
Same issue has arisen for me o_O
I actually just swapped the network adapter to be tied to my primary 10GbE adapter, and it worked again. So I swapped out the /etc/fstab IPs to my secondary adapter, and now I can access it again.

@ornias, sorry, I'm not sure I follow exactly how to do that. Is that in the web interface for Network?

Ixian

Patron
I was able to get this working with the 21.08 beta 1 (switching to a bridge). In the GUI, just clear the ip on your interface, create a new bridge and assign that interface and ip to it (or clear DHCP/add it as the case may be), test, save. Then attach your VM to the new bridge you created.

After saving and insuring I had access to the Web GUI again I did have to take one additional step - clear the configuration of the interface I switched to the bridge (by clicking the trash can icon, which is a little misleading in that it doesn't delete the interface, just clears the config).

I didn't dig deep in to why, I assume there's some leftover configuration elements that aren't exposed to the GUI that need to be wiped out. Until I did this my VM's vnet interface wouldn't route.

Ixian

Patron
"Gone again" "working again" messages aren't helpful. You could at least put the nightly version and what happened in more detail. Though I don't know anyone from Ix systems would pay attention to problems with the nightlies, they are expected to break.

On my 21.08 beta 1 test server the bridge continues to work fine. Been through several reboots.

Ziggy

Contributor
"Gone again" "working again" messages aren't helpful. You could at least put the nightly version and what happened in more detail. Though I don't know anyone from Ix systems would pay attention to problems with the nightlies, they are expected to break.

On my 21.08 beta 1 test server the bridge continues to work fine. Been through several reboots.
Sure. Will do.

JenJen

Dabbler
Hello,

I have the same problem, but when I try to test configuration the NAS become unreachable (The app on truenas are not accessible and the router doesn't see the NAS) and after 60 seconds Truenas revert the change and I can access to the NAS but the bridge disappear obviously.

I am in : TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.1

Before the step 1:
1631685785005.png

Step 1: I uncheck DHCP
1631685818097.png

Step 2:
1631686589486.png

1631685916063.png

step 3:
1631685956820.png

I "Test Changes" and the I recover the access to the NAS 60 seconds later.

Do you think it's a bug or I miss something? (I have second NIC but I haven't free place on the router)

Last edited: