Kernel panic on first start after fresh install (mlx4_en)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrod

Dabbler
Greetings everyone.

I am setting up a storage box with the following specs:

2x Xeon E5-2660 v2
192GB DDR3 ECC
36x 3TB HGST Ultrastar drives
2x Mellanox Connectx-2 dual port 10gb adapters
Intel optane 900p (slog) and 750 (l2arc) nvme ssds
2x S3700 ssds mirrored for freenas OS

Now, the installation went as ever, smooth and without issues. On the first boot though, the system crashes during the dhclient-process. the mgmt nic (igb0) gets its IP-address but the system crashes right after, when it moves onto the dhclient for the mlx-adapters. Getting a "Fatal Trap 12" error.

Image link... since the embed option is not working for me: https://imgur.com/a/gfDRs
5fMvbTU

5fMvbTU

Have anyone experienced this with their setup? I have seen several folks who are running the ConnectX-2 adapters on their FreeNAS instances. Any help would be really appreciated!

Installing from the FreeNAS-11.1-U1.iso image

Alecmascot

Guru

vrod

Dabbler
I did look at this before (was trying another card with pfSense) and got it to "work" until I started assigning the card for something.

I pulled the 2 cards out of the box now, set an IP, put one back and the box started up. The interfaces of the first card (its a dual port) was then visible in the FreeNAS UI. However after adding an interface with one of the ports, same kernel panic has appeared. Will try to see if the driver works then, if not I will have to go back to Ubuntu for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

vrod

Dabbler
Ok so I think I might have found the problem. The seller have been claimnig that these are EN-adapters but in fact they are actually VPI adapters (Ethernet + Infiniband)... I think the Infiniband-part is causing the issue. I tried another "real" EN-adapter I had laying around and this seems to work without a problem. So the problem comes down to the adapter itself. I guess I gotta return these as I have no wish to use Infiniband.

Status
Not open for further replies.