KERNEL PANIC BAD PTE and other Panics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfrjames

Cadet
So I've been with FreeNAS for about 8 months after migrating from Openfiler. The driver was to gain the use of the Zeta file system, ZFS.

For 8 months now I have tried suggestions to make the system more stable as I've recieved periodic KERNEL PANICs since the beginning.
At this point I'd say I've tried everything but hope there are some suggestions or somethingI've missed as most reciently the system crached and would not boot so I had to boot fro, mfsBSD and recover the data, then rebuild FreeNAS(For the 3rd time in 8 months)

Please tell me what I'm missing to resolve these KERNEL PANICs (We can make a 32-bit system stable corect?)

My gear:

I have a Fractel Case with power supply
NF99FL-525 motherboard with a single stick of 4G RAM
4 1.5T SEAGATE HD in ZPOOL "tank"
1 2T WDEARX HD in ZPOOL "tank2"
Running 8.3-RELEASE.img(32-bit)
Booting from SanDisk USB 2G stick
This is a 32-bit Proc/setup

I have manually tweaked the boot.loader to enable prefetch
added tunables myself as suggested by the forums
Swapped USB sticks thinking it was going bad
Enable Auto Tune (Saved, then rebooted then unchecked the option)

There is no rym of reason, it may stay up for a few days and work fine, then crash without notice. Or it may crash while streaming via MiniDLNA.
Always a KERNAL PANIC of some sort.

I can share system logs etc if you wish.

Thoughts?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
So, if you dont paste the panic photo it will be hard to say whether it is a ENOMEM issue or what.

sfrjames

Cadet
Understood,

I've booted to mfsBSD and run backup of the ZPool to a single 2T drive.
Currently running MEM test(Image below) and seeing errors, this may be the source.
When finished I will run to grab new memory, burn a new FreeNAS 8.3 RELEASEp1 to USB
Install the new RAM
Boot from the Fresh FreeNAS USB
Import the SINGLE Drive 2T zpool and try stress the system to see if it Panics.

I will then provide Verbose info need be..

If All Holds solid, I'll recreate the Pool with my original 3x 1.5T drives and migrate the data over. I have 4x 1.5 drive but have read a ZFS pool accross 4 drives is a bad thing..????

Thoughts?

MeMtest.jpg

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Not a bad thing, it is not optimal but it should be ok for home usage. I guess you're bounded by gigabit anyway?

sfrjames

Cadet
Im using a Cisco 3750 for my core which (When I get FreeNAS stable) is configured for LACP ether-channel to the NAS.

The NAS (As I get better about tunning ZFS) will be built for Reads, not Writes.

The drives I've installed are SATA3 however, the MoBo is SATA2 @ 300Mbs transfer rate

Correct me on any of this...

I cant recall WHY, 4 drives was not the best drive number. I'm used to RAID5 and 10.. :smile:

sfrjames

Cadet
Backt to update after installing New 4G memory stick (which is the total in the system)

System seems much more stable. I tried to import the Original ZPOOL but fail and did Panic so, I imported the backup which went fine.

rebuilt the Zpool RAIDZ 3x 1.5T Seagate drives SATA 3 (Stuck in a MoBo that only support SATA 2)

I migrated 50% of the data and started testing with dd:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/uPnP/ddfile bs=2048k count=10000
^C3885+0 records in
3884+0 records out
8145338368 bytes transferred in 148.143416 secs (54982790 bytes/sec)

QUESTION: Shall I ENABLE prefetch on this system?

NOTE: I have not adjusted ANY ARC values at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.