Just before I hit the NewEgg [buy] button

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark tognella

Dabbler
So thanks guys for all your help on this. The below is what I've decided on - based on what I have been told. Can anybody see any glaring issues. If not, I will start my build:

Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR21E15D8K2/32I (Intel Validated)

NZXT Kraken X41 RL-KRX41-01 140mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31230V5 Server Processor

SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So thanks guys for all your help on this. The below is what I've decided on - based on what I have been told. Can anybody see any glaring issues. If not, I will start my build:

Kingston ValueRAM 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR21E15D8K2/32I (Intel Validated)

NZXT Kraken X41 RL-KRX41-01 140mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31230V5 Server Processor

SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236
Skip the water cooler. Air cooler that comes with your CPU is perfectly fine. Did you have a reason for the water cooler?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mark tognella

Dabbler
Skip the water cooler. Air cooler that comes with your CPU is perfectly fine. Did you have a reason for the water cooler?

Not really. Just that I trust the brand and have a few builds with with them in and they have given really good service. I was a bit worried about the CPU as the manual for the board only lists E3-1200 v5 CPU. I am making an assumption about the 1230. And the RAM is Kingston. I have checked the kinston specs and they say that it is ECC unbuffered. But the forum build guide says something about being "sus about them changing model numbers."

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Not really. Just that I trust the brand and have a few builds with with them in and they have given really good service. I was a bit worried about the CPU as the manual for the board only lists E3-1200 v5 CPU. I am making an assumption about the 1230. And the RAM is Kingston. I have checked the kinston specs and they say that it is ECC unbuffered. But the forum build guide says something about being "sus about them changing model numbers."
E3-1200 is probably in reference to the 12xx series. If you wanted to save money you can easily skip the water cooler.

People around here don't like Kingston because they randomly change things and keep the same part number. I like Samsung or crucial memory and most people will agree with me.

Stux

MVP
Yes, I noticed that when I went looking. The X11SSM-F seems the way to go for me. Luckily I checked with this forum before buying the first board - as this is MUCH better value for money. Is it definitely the case that if I set the BIOS for AHCI (rather than RAID) on this board, I will get a standard JBOD? That is, not really a JOBD RAID0 in disguise, specific to the chip? Haven't worked in infrastructure for many years, but I don't want anything tied to the controller chip. So I would be putting an Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 into this board. Any recommendations on RAM? The guide seems to suggest to stay away from Kingston. I will be putting 32gig in it.

I like Crucial memory. Its Micron's retail brand. If your order from their website, they guarantee compatibility.

Go for 2x16GB and you can add additional up to 64GB as you see fit.

Stux

MVP
Re: Cooler.

Skip the cooler (at first)... use the stock cooler, test it with mprime, and if its not up to the task, then get a better cooler. If the CPU doesn't overheat with mprime, then you're fine.

After that, use one of the fan control scripts to control the cpu/case/hd fans, and you'll be able to have a nice quiet machine.

(I can recommend the Hybrid HD/CPU Fan Control Script ;))

And yes, by E3-1200v5, they mean E3-1200 v5 series, ie E3-12XX v5

Status
Not open for further replies.