SOLVED Jails keep going unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
I everyone,

I have two jails one standard with plex no plugin, and the other pluginjail with transmission plugin, i am under FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5) and something is going on my jails keep going unreachable after a while, i try to explain.

Both jail have static ips and vimage is checked, and the ips are out of my router dhcp pool to prevent conflicts.

I restart FreeNAS, and everything is working properly, jails are running i can access plex and transmission web pages.

But suddenly after a while 1/2hours i lost connection to them and i can't access web pages or ping them.

I have connection to FreeNAS so i ssh and in both jails try ping google, and the result is fine i can reach outside, what is going on here?
I am losing my mind with this...

Can anyone give me a path to follow ...

I read several posts but i can't find a solution.

If some information can help i will post as soon as possible...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
Please provide hardware specifications as per the forum rules.

I'm sorry, i really have my mind far away ...
My Freenas:
Fractal Design Define R5
Supermicro X11SSM-F
Intel Xeon E3-1230v6
2x 16Gb Samsung DDR4 ECC
Seasonic X-Series 750
2x 128Gb SSD Intenso III
6x 4T WD Red
2x 16Gb SanDisk (Boot)

Thanks

What happens if you restart the jail itself from the FreeNAS GUI jail tab. Does that allow the jail to be accessible again? I would also check to make sure the default gateway's are set in FreeNAS and check ifconfig in the jail when it first starts and is working as well as after it fails to work and see if something is changing. When you set the static IP did you stop the jail before making the changes and then start the jail again? FreeNAS 11 seems to only hold the changes if you stop the jail and then makes the config changes and then start the jail again. Previous versions you could make changes with the jail running and then restart.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
@nightshade00013

I try restart and shutdown/on from GUI but no changes.
I see no changes on ifconfig, that is what is making me sick.
I set static ips when i create the jails, i can try change the ip to see what happen.

Last week i delete the jails and the root directory, restart FreeNAS and create everything again and about an hour later same problem :/

Thanks

Artion

Patron
Hi, have you tried pinging each of the jails from each other? What do you get? And from the FN box shell?

Inviato dal mio YD201 utilizzando Tapatalk

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
@Artion

I tried, from FreeNAS shell i can ping both jails, and from jails shell i can ping the other, can ping the FreeNAS, can ping my home router and google.
I only lost access from every other terminal on my LAN.

Thanks

Artion

Patron
What clients you use to connect to the jails? How is your network set up? Just to figure out the point of failure…

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
@Artion

Clients i use to access jails Note4 and S7, 3 laptops and 2 raspberry with rasplex

Other clients LG TV, 2x ISP SetUpBoxes, 1x ISP Yaelink IP Phone W52P

My home LAN:
1x ISP Router Technicolor 789vacv2 (i think its the right model)
2x TPLink 1Gb 8port switch

I use dhcp for all clients except for FreeNAS, jails and 1 laptop.

Thanks

Do you have the FreeNAS linked into the Gateway/router or to a switch. I have a suspicion that it's hooked into the technicolor router/gateway. I also have a feeling that it has some sort of provisioning feature that is causing an issue when you are setting static IP addresses. A system I setup for my step daughter is having the same type of issue at her home but it worked fine on my network and she has a Cisco cable modem gateway/router.

Maybe take and move a switch into where the FreeNAS is and plug a short cable from it to the switch and one device that can be plugged into the switch and has a static IP and try it. Do not hook anything else up either. No internet just a switch the FreeNAS and a laptop and see if the same problem comes up. If not then I suspect the DHCP function on the gateway/router is the issue and you may have to set reservations and allow DHCP for things to work correctly.

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
@nightshade00013

Thanks for the help, as soon as i arrive home i will try your test.

You are right i have my FreeNAS linked into my Technicolor Gateway/router.

Thanks

s0n1kpt

Dabbler
@nightshade00013 , thanks for your help

I did some more tests as you suggested, and the problem was the router / gateway, my ISP has its own firmware and the latest version has some bugs still to be solved, I talked to them and the technicians came to replace the equipment with an older but stable firmware version. Since the exchange everything is in full operation, almost 48 hours have passed and I have never lost access again.

Thanks again

No problem. Glad you were able to get it figured out and a fix is available.

This is one of the reasons I advocate not using the combo devices for internet access. At the very least I say get a modem and a decent wifi router that are two separate devices, getting a router that can have aftermarket firmware is a plus.

Artion

Patron
Is it solved? If it is take a look at this and this on how to mark it as solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.