iXsystems FreeNAS Mini vs DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through many threads about building your own NAS with the top recommended parts for maximum reliability and performance. Also, I read reviews about the iXsystems FreeNAS Mini and many recommend it. Which option should I go and why? Do both options have comparable performance and reliability?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Price, warranty and number of disks would be the differences that jump out to me. The mini costs a little more than a dyi but you get a easy warranty to work with. You also are limited to 4 disks with that case and don't people want 10+ disks. Performance is great on the mini and most dyi are about the save spec.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The mini has the added benefit that you're supporting iXsystems and therefore helping pay for development (at least a little).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The mini has the added benefit that you're supporting iXsystems and therefore helping pay for development (at least a little).
And stickers. You get stickers.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Price, warranty and number of disks would be the differences that jump out to me. The mini costs a little more than a dyi but you get a easy warranty to work with. You also are limited to 4 disks with that case and don't people want 10+ disks. Performance is great on the mini and most dyi are about the save spec.
I agree. Last week I had to RMA about half a dozen different things with newegg, amazon, and a few other vendors (thankfully I didn't have to deal with an OEM). I probably spent over an hour on the phone arranging stuff. Having a single point of contact for hardware problems is awesome.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well you've been stickied a lot. That's basically the same thing. And eric's rate of posts-per-day makes me think that he outsources his forum account to at least 3 underlings.
ROFL

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And eric's rate of posts-per-day makes me think that he outsources his forum account to at least 3 underlings.
There's actually 6 of us working two shifts, with a third empty shift so as to not arouse suspicion. Be sure to tell us what tipped you off, so we can fix that. There's a door around here that says "Private - management only", behind which we hear some ominous screams. We're split 2-3 on whether it's really haunted or just a scare tactic. Sixth guy says the door is a fake. Either way, we'd really like to not find out for sure, so let's pretend this didn't happen.
We're already betting that this post will get lost among 5.6k+ posts. His monitoring has been a bit lax, so we should be ok.

This post has been removed from public view by jgreco. Reason: shhh, dummy, don't let Cyberjock know we're slowly catching up with him!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't have that many posts.. 54!?

Thanks all for your advice. What is the maximum storage that I'll get if I install 4x4T HDs and use the most reliable setting (RAIDZ, I guess)?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There's actually 6 of us working two shifts, with a third empty shift so as to not arouse suspicion. Be sure to tell us what tipped you off, so we can fix that. There's a door around here that says "Private - management only", behind which we hear some ominous screams. We're split 2-3 on whether it's really haunted or just a scare tactic. Sixth guy says the door is a fake. Either way, we'd really like to not find out for sure, so let's pretend this didn't happen.
We're already betting that this post will get lost among 5.6k+ posts. His monitoring has been a bit lax, so we should be ok.

This post has been removed from public view by jgreco. Reason: shhh, dummy, don't let Cyberjock know we're slowly catching up with him!!
I call shenanigans on cyberjock's post count. Bots that troll noobs about hardware choices shouldn't count.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
What is the maximum storage that I'll get if I install 4x4T HDs and use the most reliable setting (RAIDZ, I guess)?
The most reliable setup for 4 drives would be RAIDZ2, which would yield about 7.3TB of raw storage, and a bit less than 6TB usable if you stay below 80% full as recommended.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

diedrichg

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.