I've been stupid - replaced roots shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Hi all,

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I've now proven it by changing roots default shell. I've searched for ages on how to solve this, and I thought I had, but I don't think it's completely solved.

My box is up and running OK at the moment so I have access to the shell etc. I've followed a few guides on fixing the shell but I think I am still missing something. If I reboot and open a shell and type finger root, it shows my shell is csh (which it should be right?). but, if I type ENV, it shows it's /usr/local/bin/bash - does this mean its actually still bash?

How can I fix this (if it is still broken) please?

TIA - Paul

From the FreeNAS web interface, go:

Account -> Users -> View Users -> root -> Modify User

From there, set Shell to 'csh' (or whatever it is you want it to be) then choose 'OK' to save your shell selection.

Cheers,
Matt

danb35

Hall of Famer
...but if you use the "shell" button in the web GUI, you'll get a bash shell no matter what the root user's shell is set to.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does this change actually break anything?

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Ok, thanks everyone. It looks like I had fixed it but I still have problems.

I initially had a problem installing a plugin and thought it was down to my installing bash in error. I'm now seeing other issues to do with pkg which may be causing this. As an example this is what I get when I try to update pkg...

[root@freenas ~]# pkg update
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository local

Can anyone help please?

Pandamonium

Dabbler
That was on the system not a jail. I've just tried it in a jail and it works so it looks like it's my misunderstanding - sorry.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.