Issue with Supermicro X11SSL-CF - no SAS controller

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Hi all, so a while back I pulled the trigger on a build that included this motherboard and everything went smoothly until last weekend. I shut down the server, transfer everything to a new case (Meshify 2), turn it on and... no SAS. TrueNas boots up fine, everything seems OK, SATA plugged HDDs come up but none of my 8 SAS connected HDDs. I have no ideia WTF happened. This is what I did:
  1. Unplugged some HDDs from the SAS and connected on the regular SATA: they show!
  2. Ordered a new cable: still nothing;
  3. updated bios to latest version: still nothing.
I googled some console commands (I'm not too savvy with the terminal) to try and assess the vdev status but they don't show at all, nor on the GUI.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give some insight on how to fix this because now, from a potential 14 HDD Mobo I can only get 6 and this is useless to me! thanks in advance

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi all, so a while back I pulled the trigger on a build that included this motherboard and everything went smoothly until last weekend. I shut down the server, transfer everything to a new case (Meshify 2), turn it on and... no SAS. TrueNas boots up fine, everything seems OK, SATA plugged HDDs come up but none of my 8 SAS connected HDDs. I have no ideia WTF happened. This is what I did:
  1. Unplugged some HDDs from the SAS and connected on the regular SATA: they show!
  2. Ordered a new cable: still nothing;
  3. updated bios to latest version: still nothing.
I googled some console commands (I'm not too savvy with the terminal) to try and assess the vdev status but they don't show at all, nor on the GUI.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give some insight on how to fix this because now, from a potential 14 HDD Mobo I can only get 6 and this is useless to me! thanks in advance
Are you using the right cables? You need SFF-8643 forward breakout cables (reverse breakout cables would not work at all).

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Are you using the right cables? You need SFF-8643 forward breakout cables (reverse breakout cables would not work at all).

Yes sir I think I am. In this link the cables I got monday from AMZ, but I'm thinking even if those were wrong, both of my first bought cables back in 2017/2018 couldn't because they worked fine! Would these both fail at the same time? I guess in a freak accident maybe... ish? It's so unnerving, At this point I would just be happy with the "why" you know?

Thanks for your insight!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Do you see the drives appearing in the POST screen for the SAS controller?

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Do you see the drives appearing in the POST screen for the SAS controller?

Hi, gonna be honest I don't know how to stop or pause/print the POST to check. When I got the Mboard it was just plug n' play. Everything just worked and I never had to configure anything and I don't remember really looking so much at the BIOS or POST tbh.

I found online that to access the raid controller I had to CTRL+C but it's a no go. Tried "sas3flash" on terminal but it outputs NO CONTROLLER found., This kinda tells me it really is a hardware issue right? Do you know of a better way to check that post info just to be sure? Thanks.

Redcoat

MVP
Your board has a SAS Heartbeat LED - LEDS1. Jumper JPS1 has to be "on" (connecting pins 1&2) for it to be enabled. Green flashing is SAS good, red steady is SAS Error.

ZeroNine

Dabbler
Your board has a SAS Heartbeat LED - LEDS1. Jumper JPS1 has to be "on" (connecting pins 1&2) for it to be enabled. Green flashing is SAS good, red steady is SAS Error.

Hello, the LED is off (?) and the jumpers are in the correct position! I never noticed/knew there was a "heartbeat" LED for the SAS, and I don't remember seeing it ever either green or red for that matter, even when it was working! Green = Good, Red = Error, off = buy a new one??

EDIT: left the pdf mobo manual for easy access/reference if someone wants to take a crack at it. any help greatly appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-27_17-18-55.jpg
    photo_2021-05-27_17-18-55.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 128
  • MNL-1782.pdf
    13.2 MB · Views: 206

Redcoat

MVP
One issue that can arise when putting a system in a new case is a wrongly-positioned case standoff or similar shorting out something to ground on the underside of the board. I would pull the board out of the case and power it up to check it out before concluding that it's toast.

wrongly-positioned case standoff or similar shorting out something to ground on the underside of the board

Yep, that's a good idea, especially since some Supermicro boards have non standard standoffs or are missing some, that board is missing one near to the LSI chip.

ZeroNine

Dabbler
One issue that can arise when putting a system in a new case is a wrongly-positioned case standoff or similar shorting out something to ground on the underside of the board. I would pull the board out of the case and power it up to check it out before concluding that it's toast.

Dear Sir/Ma'am thank you. I would NEVER think of this as an issue and you were absolutely correct: in sum I half-assed the transfer of the MoBo. I was in a hurry to test-drive it, one "support" standoff was bellow the chip, another screw stand near it was also missing, I pulled it, rearranged all the standoffs with the proper screws, put it back, flipped the switch and... joy! The chip LED turns on red and after a few seconds a happy green!

I would love to pay you a beer/coffee/tea helpful stranger, so if you want to DM me I'll gladly show my appreciation, if not... I lack the words to fully express my gratitude. My thanks!

Redcoat

MVP
I would love to pay you a beer/coffee/tea helpful stranger, so if you want to DM me I'll gladly show my appreciation, if not... I lack the words to fully express my gratitude. My thanks!
I'm delighted for both of us that this was the solution! This forum's not about paying, except paying it forward. Please come often and share your experiences with other posters. If you really feel compelled to open your wallet, please donate something to your local animal shelter.