iSCSI problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgegr

Cadet
Hello Guys,

I have installed FREENAS 8 and i gonfigured iSCSI and connected it to my Windows 7 PC.
I cut and pasted some of my movies to the FREENAS and everything worked fine.
Then i conntected my windows 2003 Server with iSCSI and i cut and pasted some more movies to NAS.
Today i tried to access the movies (that i copied from windows 2003 server) from my Windows 7 PC and i couldnt find them.
I did the same thing from my 2003 server but the movies werent there.
I copied another file to NAS and i could see it from both locations but not the movies.
Are they gone? Did i lose them?

Thank you in advance.
George

satyashr

Cadet
Hi Support team...

I also have similar issue.

a. I copy a file to F:\backup\xyz.txt form Win 7 to free NAS iSCSI SAN disk (properly initiated using iscsi iniator and appearing as F:\ drive)
b. I try to locate that file in F:\BACKUP Directory from Windows 2008 server and the file's not there.
c. Stored abc.txt from Win2008 to F:\BACKUP directory, when checked it from Win7, can't see that file. Only xyz.txt is visible.

Can't the iSCSI SAN created using freeNAS do the real time update of tiles on the DISK?

Thanks,
Satya

Tekkie

Patron
Guys read the documentation on what iSCSI is and how it works ;) you cannot share an iSCSI target between 2 or more PC's.

satyashr

Cadet
Guys read the documentation on what iSCSI is and how it works ;) you cannot share an iSCSI target between 2 or more PC's.

Thanks Tekkie. That makes sense on why I'm not seeing realtime updates on iSCSI target. I've decided to expose the iSCSI disk to Win2008 Server (As f:') and share it from there to other Win 7 clients. What do you think about this?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi satyashr,

Is there any reason you don't just use CIFS to share the storage directly from the FreeNAS box?

-Will

satyashr

Cadet
Thanks Tekkie. That makes sense on why I'm not seeing realtime updates on iSCSI target. I've decided to expose the iSCSI disk to Win2008 Server (As f:') and share it from there to other Win 7 clients. What do you think about this?

Hi satyashr,

Is there any reason you don't just use CIFS to share the storage directly from the FreeNAS box?

-Will

Hi Will,

I want to create a uniform share on the existing file server (e.g. \\XYZSERVER\SANDISK) for ease of use for the user. So didn't want to create another share on different device.

Do you have any other intelligent suggestion?

Thanks,
Satya

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi satyashr,

I'm thinking centralizing your shares on the NAS is pretty the most intelligent solution I can offer.

I can certainly confirm that sharing an iscsi volume between the 2 machines is not the way to go. As you have seen it will lead to "unpredictable" results...neither box knows about what the other is doing to the volume and that is a sure path to corruption & sadness.

Since you want to use the existing file server I think presenting the iscsi volume to that box & that box alone is your best bet.

-Will

satyashr

Cadet
Hi satyashr,

I'm thinking centralizing your shares on the NAS is pretty the most intelligent solution I can offer.

I can certainly confirm that sharing an iscsi volume between the 2 machines is not the way to go. As you have seen it will lead to "unpredictable" results...neither box knows about what the other is doing to the volume and that is a sure path to corruption & sadness.

Since you want to use the existing file server I think presenting the iscsi volume to that box & that box alone is your best bet.

-Will

Thanks Will for clarification and your suggestion.

One more reason for my decision on SAN disk to be exposed to Win2K8 File server is also for ease of managing File share permissions using Active Directory.

Cheers,
Satya

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi satyashr,

I certainly understand that. I've had good luck assigning permissions to users in AD. If you are still n the planning stages I would give that a look.

Permissions are kind of weird if you have a windows background....it gets users\groups from AD and lets you assign them Unix style permissions.

-Will

majorindian

Cadet
FreeNAS 8.2 ISCSI PRoblem

Hi,

I am new to FreeNAS. I recently installed FreeNAS 8.2 on a P4 32 bit machine having 250 GB and 1.5 TB HDD with 4 GB RAM. Install was very easy and so the configuration. When i tried to use this iSCSI target which created on ESX 4.1 server ( with no updates) i was able to bring this 1.3 TB LUN to my ESX. I started installing my VM on this LUN and after 37% it showed me my datastore (FreeNAs LUN) as inactive. I tried to access the FreeNAs server through HTTP://<ip address> no luck.
I reinstalled and configured everything but same issue. iSCSI target become inactive after sometime and my FreeNAS server is not accessible.

PLease let me know what is wrong and how should i make this working

Status
Not open for further replies.