is this memory compatible?

BigMike

Dabbler
My motherboard is Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F (an Intel Atom C3758-based board). My system isn't booting and I'm afraid it's not happy with the memory it is seeing (it is not on Supermicro "Tested Memory List" ...)

I have 32GB of memory from Newegg as follows:

Supermicro (HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH) 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory (Server Memory) Model MEM-DR416L-HL03-ER24

Should this work? Any opinions?

pschatz100

Guru
According to the specs on the Supermicro site, the memory looks like it ought to be compatible. However, I don't have any experience with registered DIMMs.

Does the bios recognize the memory? Have you tried using only one DIMM? Are you certain that you are putting them in the correct slots?

BigMike

Dabbler
Thank you for weighing in! I just now tried using only one DIMM. It works - I can boot, get into BIOS, and 16GB is available. No luck getting the second DIMM going. I do not understand all the memory spec info - is some memory not usable in pairs?

pschatz100

Guru
You tested each stick individually and they both work?

I presume you are using two sticks that were a matched set, or at least the same model number and specs. Make certain you are putting them in the correct memory slots. Check the documentation... there is an order for installing multiple DIMMS and your motherboard manual will have information about this.

After the system posts, you can go into the bios and make certain the memory is recognized. You don't have to have any disks or a boot device attached. I would also double-check the mounting of the motherboard in the case and make certain there are no screws or unused stand-offs that are touching something electrical and causing a short. This sort of thing happens more often than you might realize.

BigMike

Dabbler
I think I've got it ... one of the sticks is indeed bad. I'm going to return it. Thanks for helping me work it out!