Is there any kind of best practice for snapshot and replication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen J

Dabbler
I am setting up snapshot and replication between two freenas boxes. I am wondering what others are doing and how they are doing it. The boxes are on our private network and I have ~50megs of bandwidth between them. I am essentially cross backing them up to each other. Some data is obviously more important than other data but what you loose is always the most important. I would like to do very frequent snapshots on some mount points but do replication maybe once a day. Is this a common method?

Stephen

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
i suggest you use rsync over ssh between the to. no extra running service, only sends data that changed, and is encrypted traffic. you just need to get your public/private keys setup correctly then setup the rsync jobs.

Stephen J

Dabbler
So replication is the full dataset every time? Ouch. For some reason I thought it was incremental but I must have been getting it confused with rsync. I'll have to look at rsync.

Thanks,
Stephen

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ohh, my mistake, I didn't fully understand what replication was. haven't looked into / played around with this yet

linux203

Cadet
Replication is performed using snapshots, which are incremental, over ssh. Replication occurs when snapshots are created.

Status
Not open for further replies.