Is there a Supermicro Mini-ITX MB recommended for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
How is your build with the Supermicro A1SAI-2750F?

I'm very happy with mine. Huge upgrade over my previous system.

I was running an AMD based system with 8GB RAM. I don't know if the bottleneck was the CPU, RAM (I now have 16GB) or nic. But, I've seen a significant performance increase on transfers. Also, I no longer have any kind of USB reboot issues. It just feels more solid.

The Supermicro documentation is a little lacking in some areas. IPMI in particular is a bit vague. I'm in the habit of setting long passwords for security. Their BMC has a weird password length limit (19 characters). The interface doesn't tell you that or raise an error if you exceed it. So, that caused some confusion when I tried to set a 20 character pass and didn't realize it had been truncated. From there, resetting the passwords in IPMI was new to me and burned a few a hours.

Anyway, I highly recommend this board.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm very happy with mine. Huge upgrade over my previous system.

I was running an AMD based system with 8GB RAM. I don't know if the bottleneck was the CPU, RAM (I now have 16GB) or nic. But, I've seen a significant performance increase on transfers. Also, I no longer have any kind of USB reboot issues. It just feels more solid.

The Supermicro documentation is a little lacking in some areas. IPMI in particular is a bit vague. I'm in the habit of setting long passwords for security. Their BMC has a weird password length limit (19 characters). The interface doesn't tell you that or raise an error if you exceed it. So, that caused some confusion when I tried to set a 20 character pass and didn't realize it had been truncated. From there, resetting the passwords in IPMI was new to me and burned a few a hours.

Anyway, I highly recommend this board.

I went through a similar experience on my X10SLM+-F, but at the time I chalked it up to "invalid" characters that were nevertheless accepted.

Where did you find out about this 19-character limit?

indivision

Guru
I went through a similar experience on my X10SLM+-F, but at the time I chalked it up to "invalid" characters that were nevertheless accepted.

Where did you find out about this 19-character limit?

I had suspected the same thing about invalid characters. I ended up creating a test account and running a series of tests. I figured out the character limit through trial and error starting with 12 characters, testing, then 13 and so on.

Kind of crazy that they don't simply have a "(19 characters max)" line next to the field.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I had suspected the same thing about invalid characters. I ended up creating a test account and running a series of tests. I figured out the character limit through trial and error starting with 12 characters, testing, then 13 and so on.

Kind of crazy that they don't simply have a "(19 characters max)" line next to the field.
19 characters of all stupid limits. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.