Is the ZFS compression good thing or not to save space on backup disk on TrueNAS?

Mark007

Cadet
Hi,

We have a many users and our backup disk are ok for now but in the long run they will need to be doubled.

Actually we have a compression of 1x and wondering if increasing the compression for 10-15% would be benefit on saving space for the short run.

60% of the space used is allocated to design, many pictures and .png and .ai (illustrator files) and the remaining is used to all kind of documents.

I am wondering if increasing the compression would save something on the space. Sure it would be more CPU consuming but we have the machine for and the backup is done overnight so it would not affect users connected.

Thanks!

Mark007

Cadet
Hi,

We have a many users and our backup disk are ok for now but in the long run they will need to be doubled.

Actually we have a compression of 1x and wondering if increasing the compression for 10-15% would be benefit on saving space for the short run.

60% of the space used is allocated to design, many pictures and .png and .ai (illustrator files) and the remaining is used to all kind of documents.

I am wondering if increasing the compression would save something on the space. Sure it would be more CPU consuming but we have the machine for and the backup is done overnight so it would not affect users connected.

Thanks!
I mean turning on the compression in general*

artlessknave

Wizard
"increasing the compression for 10-15% " what does this mean? I know of no way to target compression.
freenas compression only compresses compressible data. if you have a ratio of 1x, then the data either wasn't compressed, likely for a reason, or compression isn't enabled.
most media formats are already compressed, you won't get much compression from them (unless you have like 1000 copies of the exact same file)
lz4 is on by default, it has a negligible performance impact and will compress anything that can be.